Busan has plenty to offer, but if you feel you’ve already seen all the big attractions, plan a day-trip to Gijang-gun. Located at the point where the eastern and southern seas meet, the ocean color here takes on a special tone, accented by the white coastal cliffs in the area.
- Location: Northernmost part of Busan, next to Ulsan and Yangsan-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
- Directions: Take Busan Subway Line 1 from Busan Station to Busan Nat’l Univ. of Edu. Station, transfer to the Donghae Line, and get off at Gijang Station
- Website: www.gijang.go.kr (Korean, English)
Recommended one-day trip itineraries
We recommend the following two itineraries to enjoy the coastal beauty and fresh seafood available in Gijang.
① Busan Station → Haedong Yonggungsa Temple → Gijang Haenyeo Village → Ocean-view café → Ahopsan Forest → Hanok café
This course departs from Busan Station and travels to some of the top attractions & popular cafés in Gijang.
② Busan Station → Gijang Station → Jukseong Catholic Church → Seafood restaurant → Imnang Beach → Ocean-view café
Haedong Yonggungsa Temple
Haedong Yonggungsa Temple is unlike typical temples in Korea, located deep within the mountains. Instead, this temple is right on the coast, almost appearing to float on the ocean.
The temple has often been referred to as the most beautiful temple in Korea, thanks to the unique combination of the traditional temple structures with the waves crashing onto the large rocks below.
Haedong Yonggungsa Temple
- Address: 86, Yonggung-gil, Gijang-gun, Busan (부산광역시 기장군 기장읍 용궁길 86)
- Directions: Take Bus No. 1001 from OSIRIA Station (Donghae Line) to Yonggungsa-National Institute of Fisheries Science Bus Stop
- Shuttle bus (paid service)
- Line 1: First bus departs from Sinpyeong 1-dong Playground Bus Stop at 08:20
- Line 2: First bus departs from Jurye Station Nonghyup Bus Stop at 08:30
* Bus only operates on 1, 15, 24th of each lunar month
* Shuttle bus info: www.yongkungsa.or.kr (Korean only)
- Operating hours: 05:00 - sunset
- Admission: Free
- Website: www.yongkungsa.or.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
Jukseong Catholic Church
Jukseong Catholic Church, standing at the top of a coastal cliff, is not an actual church. It was built as a filming set for the drama “Dream (2009).” The building was originally slated to be removed after filming was completed, but it became such a popular photo spot that it has remained.
Jukseong Catholic Church
- Address: 134-7, Jukseong-ri, Gijang-gun, Busan (부산광역시 기장군 기장읍 죽성리 134-7)
- Directions: Take Maeul Bus Gijang6 from Gijang Catholic Church Bus Stop by Gijang Station (Donghae Line), Exit 1 to Duho Haenyeo Social Welfare Center Bus Stop and walk for approx. 5 min
- Operating hours: Open 24 hr
Ahopsan Forest spreads over 520,000 ㎡ and is comprised of 400-year-old trees. It’s a great place to see bamboo, pine trees, ginkgo trees, azaleas and more in a pristine state.
The forest has stood as a greenbelt for a long time, serving as a protection area of source water. There are also 116 trees in the forest that are protected. Thanks to the forest’s beauty, it has been used as a filming site for many movies, dramas, and television commercials.
- Address: 37-1, Midong-gil, Gijang-gun, Busan (부산광역시 기장군 철마면 미동길 37-1)
- Directions: Take a taxi for approx. 30 min from Gijang Station (Donghae Line)
- Operating hours: 09:00-18:00 (last admission 16:30)
* Closed Mondays
- Admission: 5,000 won
* Free: Preschoolers (ages 4 and younger)
- Website: www.ahopsan.com (Korean only)
Seafood at Gijang Haenyeo Village
At the Gijang Haenyeo Village, you can purchase sannakji (live octopus), ppulsora (horned turbans), meonggye (sea pineapple), haesam (sea cucumber), and more fresh seafood. Enjoy the different textures of each type of seafood as you dip it in chogochujang, a spicy seasoning made of vinegar and red pepper paste, or makjang, a soybean paste-based seasoning.
Fresh seafood also goes great with soju! While here, try the local brands of Daesun and Joeunday.
Gijang Haenyeo Village
- Address: 184, Yeonhwa1-gil, Gijang-gun, Busan (부산광역시 기장군 기장읍 연화1길 184)
- Directions: Take Bus No. 139 from Gijang Catholic Church Bus Stop by Gijang Station (Donghae Line), Exit 1 to Sinam Bus Stop and walk for approx. 5 min
There are lots of cafés in Gijang with ocean views. You can easily find them in the areas around Gijang Haenyeo Village and Imnang Beach. Of course, the best café is always the one that fits into your itinerary best! Relax and enjoy a cup of coffee!
Many of the coastal cafés have their own unique photo zones. Be sure to get a picture of you relaxing in such beauty.
- Address: 286, Haemaji-ro, Gijang-gun, Busan (부산광역시 기장군 장안읍 해맞이로 286)
- Directions: Take Bus No. 180 from Jukseong Sageori Bus Stop by Gijang Station (Donghae Line), Exit 2 to Gijang Culture & Etiquette School Bus Stop and walk for approx. 5 min
- Operating hours: 11:00-24:00 (Last order 23:00), open all year round
- Signature menus: Brewing coffee (pour over coffee) 7,000 won / Full Moon coffee (cold brew) 7,000 won / Mont blanc 7,500 won
- Hwabong Coffee
- Address: 55, Yeonhwa1-gil, Gijang-gun, Busan (부산광역시 기장군 연화1길 55)
- Directions: Take Bus No. 139 from Gijang Catholic Church Bus Stop by Gijang Station (Donghae Line), Exit 1 to Seoam Bus Stop and walk for approx. 3 min
- Operating hours: 10:00-22:00
- Signature menus: Olegrasse (black sesame/cream/toffee nut) 7,000 won / Sangha Farm ice cream (plain/cookies ‘n’ cream/blueberry, etc.) 5,000~6,500 won
- Peak Square
- Address: 864, Gijanghaean-ro, Gijang-gun, Busan (부산광역시 기장군 기장해안로 864)
- Directions: Take Maeul Bus Gijang6 from Gijang Catholic Church Bus Stop by Gijang Station (Donghae Line), Exit 1 to Woljeon Village Center Bus Stop and walk for approx. 15 min
- Operating hours: 11:00-21:00 (Last order 20:00)
- Signature menus: Pour over coffee 7,000 won / Nutty crumble latte 7,500 won
Gijang also has a couple cafés located in hanok buildings. Take full advantage of the setting and order traditional drinks and desserts!
Knock Knock with Gallery Yedong
- Address: 7-20, Midong-gil, Gijang-gun, Busan (부산광역시 기장군 철마면 미동길 7-20)
- Directions: Take a taxi for approx. 10 min from Gijang Station (Donghae Line)
- Operating hours: 12:00-18:00, closed Saturday-Monday
- Signature menus: Ice misugaru 16,000 won / Dutum toast 10,000 won
- 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Malay)
* This column was last updated in May 2021, and therefore information may differ from what is presented here. We advise you to check details before visiting.
* Column content provided by TRAVELHOLIC