|National Maritime Museum (국립해양문화재연구소-구,국립해양유물전시관)|
The National Maritime Museum is the only domestic marine museum. Opened in 1994, it is a 2-story building with a B1 floor. There are 4 main exhibit halls and one special exhibit hall. At Exhibition 1, "Underwater Cultural Heritage from Wando," about 3,000 Goryeo ceramic relics excavated from just off the Eoduri sea, Wando district, and the Wooden ship of the Goryeo (918~1392) dynasty are exhibited. The Wando ship is a model of the original boat, half the size of the original ship. You can view the landscape around the old sea and learn about the world’s marine excavation history in this exhibition hall. At Exhibition 2, “Underwater Cultural Heritage from Sinan," you can view 22,000 pieces of 14th century Chinese ships, crockery and golden-ware. At Exhibition 3, "The Life of a Korean Fishing Village," you can learn about the traditional fishing techniques and tools, and you can view the living conditions of those times. It is interesting to compare the fishing methods of today to the past. And at Exhibition 4, "Korean Traditional Boats," you can see the development of Korean shipping and shipbuilding. There are many models displayed, from the ships of the Goryeo dynasty to the oilers of today. The rabbit and turtle shaped ships are quite eye-catching. When you have finished touring all the exhibit halls, take a stroll down the lounge to the souvenir shop to relax. On clear warm days, it is soothing to sit in the lounge under the warm sun. The sunshine coming through the window is brilliant. After a break, you can go outside to the outdoor exhibit, and enjoy seeing more traditional ships.
|Exhibition Hall Information|
[Wando Room: Korean History through the Restoration of Underwater Cultural Properties]
- The room introduces the excavation history of underwater cultural properties in the world and in Korea. Wando was the ship carrying pottery of the Goryeo Dynasty and excavated in Wando, Jeonnam. Many cultural property and old vessels have been found underwater in Korea, showing glimpses of Korean history.
[Sinsan Room: Maritime Trade in East Asia 700 Years Ago]
- The room displays the ship from China which sunk 700 years ago as well as trade items from that time. Sinan was heading toward Japan from China in the summer of 1323 and sunk in Sinan, Jeonnam. The ship contained many trade items.
[Fishing Village Folk Room: Life and History of Fishermen]
- The room displays tools, customs, and folklore from fishing villages. Depending on the sea and nature for its livelihood, the village produced a unique culture praying for abundant fish and the safety of fishermen.
[Ship Room: History of Korean Vessels]
- The room offers a wide array of Korean vessels from ancient times. Vessels reflect the wisdom and technologies of our forefathers.
- This room offers children an opportunity to experience diverse maritime cultural aspects.
[Special Exhibition Room]
[Outdoor Exhibition Hall]
- The hall shows the variety of Korean vessels, their anchors, and fishing nets.
|Admission / Participation Fees|
|Age 19 - 64 600 won (30 or more 500 won) / 7 - 18 300 won (10 or more 200 won)|
|*At Mokpo Train Station, Take bus No.1, Get off in front of Mokpo MBC Studio and transfer to bus No.7 ->> Get off once inside Gatbayui Cultural center (Travel time, 35min.)
*At Mokpo Bus Terminal, take bus No.6 or 14, get off in front of Yonghae-dong Geumho Apt. Transfer to bus No.7 ->> Get off once inside Gatbayui Cultural center (Travel time, 20min.)