|Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)|
Jinjuseong Castle, which is historically linked to the Japanese invasion in 1592, was originally named Geoyeolseong Castle during the Three Kingdom Period, later renamed as Chokseokseong Castle in the Goryeo Dynasty and finally settled as Jinjuseong Castle in the Joseon Dynasty. The reinforced stonewall has a circumference of approximately 1,760m, 5m-8m in height and contains three wells and springs. According to Ha Ryun’s Seongmungi in Donggukyeojiseungnam Record, the castle had been frequently destroyed by the Japanese invasion and was later reinforced by Jinju’s minister, Kim Jung-gwang during the fifth year of Goryeo Woo King’s reign (1379). During this period, the circumference was 800 bo(pace), with Uijeongmun Gate to the east, Jijemun Gate to the north, and Yehwamun Gate to the south. Outside the castle, Cheongcheon River flows in the west and Namgang River in the south and a pond lies between the castle and the trench dug during the war times. As a fortress to safeguard from the Japanese attacks, it blocked the Japanese from advancing toward Honam during the 25th year of Joseon Seonjo King’s reign (1592). Within the temple lies Chokseoknu, Kim Shi-min Memorial, Uigisa Shrine, Seojangdae, Bukjangdae, Changyeolsa shrine, Jinju National Museum, Hoguksa Temple, and an outdoor stage.
|Historic Site No.118|
|N/A (Open all year round)|
500 won for first 30min / 200 won for each additional 10min
1,000 won for first 30min / 400 won for each additional 10min
|Adults: 1,000 won / Group: 700 won
Youths: 500 won / Group: 300 won
Children: 300 won / Group: 200 won
* Group: 30 or more people
|Baby Stroller Rentals|
|From Jinju Intercity Bus Terminal.
Walk 10-15min following the signs for Jinjuseong Fortress.
From Jinju Express Bus Terminal or Jinju Station.
Take a taxi to Jinjuseong Fortress. (10min)