|The 2nd Tunnel (제 2땅굴)|
|The 2nd Tunnel, which was made by North Koreans to invade South Korea, was discovered on March 19th, 1975. This tunnel is 3.5km long and sits 50~160 meters below the surface.
It can accommodate up to thirty thousand people and is large enough for tanks to pass through.
Now the 2nd Tunnel is under the control of the Cheolwon-gun Office. Every year hundreds of thousands of people visit this unique tourist destination.
The sightseeing course contains the 2nd Tunnel, the Labor Party Headquarter and Woljeongri Station (Cheorui Samgakji Observatory). It's under the control of both the military and Cheolwon-gun office. Soldiers serve as guides on the DMZ tours.
Car tours are only available for people that apply for admission at Goseok-jeong (Information Office at the 2nd floor, Jeonjeok-gwan Office).
Tourists can visit the Labor Party Headquarter without any application, but have to apply for the 2nd Tunnel and Woljeongri Station (Cheorui Samgakji Observatory) tour in advance.
|Every Tuesday, Children's Day, Seollal, Chuseok|
|Tour Course Information|
|Goseok-jeong (Jeonejok-gwan) → The 8th Control Office → The 2nd Tunnel → Cheorui Samgakji Observatory (Woljeongri Station) → The 5th Control Office
Time Required : 2 hrs and 30 min - 3 hrs
|* All vehicles are under the control of the guide. May change according to military conditions.
* schedule: 9:30, 10:30, 13:00, 14:00 (winter season) / 9:30, 10:30, 13:00, 14:30 (summer season)
(S) 2,000 won (L) 5,000 won
* Groups are more than 20 persons.
* Individual tours are not available because The 2nd Tunnel is located in the demilitarized zone. Only Secure Sightseeing Courses run by the government are available.
|* Take an intercity
bus from Dong Seoul Bus Terminal (Seoul subway line 2, Gangbyeon station) to Dongsong-eup
or Sincheorwon. (Bus schedule: 06:30-21:00, 20-30min intervals / Estimated travel
time: 2hrs 20min)
1. From Dongsong-eup, take city bus bound for Sintan-ri and get off at Sintan-ri Station (20 min interval / 30 min ride). The bus passes through the House of Labor Party Ruins and Baekma Hill. (백마고지) From Sintan-ri Station, only private cars are available.
2. From Sincheorwon, take Dongsong-eup bound bus and get off at Dongsong-eup Station (20 min interval / 30 min ride). Then, move as above.
3. From Sincheorwon, taxi takes 15 min to Iron Triangle Battlefield.