VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.
- 10.07.2015 ~ 10.11.2015 Finished
- Sinnyong-ri, Buryang-myeon, Gimje-si, Jeollabuk-do
전북 김제시 부량면
- Gimje-si (Byeokgolje; 벽골제)
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-63-540-3031
- Sponsors / Management
- Gimje-si / Gimje Horizon Festival Committee
- Gimje Horizon Festival, held from late September to early October every year since 1999, takes place at Byeokgolje Reservoir, which is the heart of the Honam rice bowl. The festival aims to show the importance of Korea’s farming culture, which is a foundation of the nation, with the theme of sky and land meeting at the horizon.
The festival also aims to promote the regional image and economy. Many dynamic and active programs are available for festival-goers to participate in before the golden horizon.
Byeokgolje, the largest irrigation facility in the world, built 1,700 years ago during Baekje (King Biryu, 330), is embraced by the city of Gimje. Thanks to Byeokgolje, the area of Gimje is the birth place of Korea’s rice farming and agricultural culture. During the Baekje period, it was called ‘Byeokgolgun’ (a village of rice) which came from the fact that this area was the first area to start rice farming.
During the festival, domestic and overseas visitors can take part in various hands-on programs feeling Korean farming culture in Byeokgolje (Historic Site No. 111). Visitors of all ages can easily take part in these programs to educate, inspire, and enjoy with a theme of spacious plains to the horizon. Events include kite-flying, rice-farming, catching grasshoppers, Korea Straw and Plants handicraft, making rice over an open fire, and other activities to entertain visitors.
- [By train]
Take an express train to Gimje Station.
Take the festival shuttle bus from the Station to the festival venue.
(Shuttle bus schedule: 07:30-22:30)
Take an express bus to Gimje Bus Terminal.
Take the festival shuttle bus from the Terminal to the festival venue.
(Shuttle bus schedule: 08:00-22:00)
- festival.gimje.go.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)