- * Danoje Festival will be performed online due to Corona 19.
- 06.21.2020 ~ 06.28.2020 Finished
- 1, Danojang-gil, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do
강원도 강릉시 단오장길 1
- Dano Marketplace at Namdaecheon Stream in Gangneung-si
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-33-641-1593
- Sponsors / Management
- Gangneung Danoje Festival Committee / Gangneung Danoje Festival Committee
- The Gangneung Danoje Festival was designated a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2005 and is
Important Intangible Cultural Property No. 13 in Korea in 1967. The festival serves to preserve the folk culture of the Joseon Dynasty and has been a popular festival since 1975.
Danoje Festival includes rituals such as the Daegwallyeong Guksa Seonghwangje (a tribute to Monk Beomil, believed to protect Gangneung) and Yeongsinje (a deity greeting ritual). Folk performances, ssireum wrestling, swing riding, and tug-of-war competitions follow these rituals. During the Danoje Festival, visitors are also invited to participate in various events: watching a traditional wedding ceremony, making surichui rice cake, washing one's hair in iris-infused water, and drinking alcoholic
beverages offered to the gods. There are also regional dialect contests and other cultural programs.
- - Sinjubitgi (Brewing of sacred liquor)
- Guksa Seonghwangje (Ritual to Royal Tutor Tutelary Deity)
- Bonganje (Deity Enshrining Ritual)
- Yeongsinje (Ritual to Welcome Deity)
- Danoje Main Event
- Admission/Participation Fees
- Duration of Performance
- Varies by program
- Age Limit
- Open to visitors of all ages
- [Express Bus]
From Seoul Express Bus Terminal, take an express bus to Gangneung Express Bus Terminal.
From Gangneung Express Bus Terminal Bus Stop, take Bus No. 221, 211-1, or 227-1 to Dano Culture Center Bus Stop.
- www.danojefestival.or.kr (Korean, English)
VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.