VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.
- 05.27.2017 ~ 06.03.2017 Finished
- 1, Danojang-gil, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do
강원도 강릉시 단오장길 1
- Dano Marketplace at Namdaecheon Stream and other designated venues in Gangneung-si
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-33-641-1593
- The Gangneung Danoje Festival was designated a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2005 and is
Important Intangible Cultural Property No. 13 in Korea in 1967. The festival serves to preserve the folk culture of the Joseon Dynasty and has been a popular festival since 1975.
Danoje Festival includes rituals such as the Daegwallyeong Guksa Seonghwangje (a tribute to Monk Beomil, believed to protect Gangneung) and Yeongsinje (a deity greeting ritual). Folk performances, ssireum wrestling, swing riding, and tug-of-war competitions follow these rituals. During the Danoje Festival, visitors are also invited to participate in various events: watching a traditional wedding ceremony, making surichui rice cake, washing one's hair in iris-infused water, and drinking alcoholic
beverages offered to the gods. There are also regional dialect contests and other cultural programs.
- - Sinjubitgi (Brewing of sacred liquor)
- Guksa Seonghwangje (Ritual to Royal Tutor Tutelary Deity)
- Bonganje (Deity Enshrining Ritual)
- Yeongsinje (Ritual to Welcome Deity)
- Danoje Main Event
- Admission/Participation Fees
- Admission fees: Free
* Separate participation fees may apply for experience programs.
- [Express Bus]
Get off Gangneung Express Bus Terminal.
(Korean, English, Chinese)
From Gangneung Express Bus Terminal, take a taxi to the festival venue
Get off at Dano Culture Center Bus Stop.
- Bus: 221 (Gangneung High School, Korea Polytechnics University), 211-1 (Anmok, Korea Polytechnics University), 227-1 (Namhyangjin, Gyotongtaekji)
- www.danojefestival.or.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)