VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.
- 06.05.2016 ~ 06.12.2016 Finished
- 1, Danojang-gil, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do
강원도 강릉시 단오장길 1 (노암동)
- Dano Marketplace at Namdaecheon Stream and other designated venues in Gangneung-si
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-33-641-1593
- The Gangneung Danoje Festival was designated a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2005 and is
Important Intangible Cultural Property No. 13 in Korea in 1967. The festival serves to preserve the folk culture of the Joseon Dynasty and has been a popular festival since 1975.
Danoje Festival includes rituals such as the Daegwallyeong Guksa Seonghwangje (a tribute to Monk Beomil, believed to protect Gangneung) and Yeongsinje (a deity greeting ritual). Folk performances, ssireum wrestling, swing riding, and tug-of-war competitions follow these rituals. During the Danoje Festival, visitors are also invited to participate in various events: watching a traditional wedding ceremony, making surichui rice cake, washing one's hair in iris-infused water, and drinking alcoholic
beverages offered to the gods. There are also regional dialect contests and other cultural programs.
- Brewing sake: May 11, 2016
History of Seonghwangje: May 21, 2016
Bonganje: March 21, 2016
Youngsinje Festival: June 7, 2016
Youngsinje Festival Parade: June 7, 2016
* Parade Course: Guardian Goddess Enshrining Temple → The house of Gyeongbang's wife→ Downtown → Dano Marketplace
Dano Festival Main Events: June 5 - 12, 2016 (8 days)
- Admission/Participation Fees
- Admission fees: Free
* Separate participation fees may apply for experience programs.
1) From Dong Seoul Bus Terminal,
take an intercity bus to Gangneung Bus Terminal.
* Bus info: 06:31-23:05 / 30 min intervals
2) From Seoul Express Bus Terminal, take an express bus to Gangneung Bus Terminal.
Bus info: 06:00-23:30 / 20-30 min intervals
From Gangneung Intercity/Express Bus Terminal, take a taxi to the festival venue
- www.danojefestival.or.kr (Korean, English)