VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.
- 45, Expo-ro, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
강원도 삼척시 엑스포로 45 (성남동)
- Expo Square
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-33-571-3225
- Sponsors / Management
- Samcheok Jeongwol Daeboreum Festival Organizing Committee / Samcheok Cultural Center
- * NOTICE: Excluding Gijuldarigi, all events are cancelled.
Samcheok Jeongwol Daeboreum Festival is a festival that blends Gijuldarigi, a local Samcheok play, together with three ancestral rites for the gods of heaven, agriculture, and the sea.
The festival includes a range of traditional activities including fireworks, a celebration ceremony, parade, pungmulnori (Korean drum performance and dance), burning daljip (bundle of twigs that is burned to bring good luck), local dialect contest, yutnori (traditional board game), ssireum (wrestling) and many more. The gijuldarigi (tug-of-war) contest has become a popular traditional activity, and is now held throughout the country.
festival is held at Expo Square, not far from cultural tourism spots including the exhibition hall of caves, Jukseoru Pavilion, Haesindang Park, and Hwanseongul Cave.
* Gijuldarigi (gejuldarigi; ge means "crab")
In this version of tug-of-war, participants on the either side each hold on to smaller ropes linked to a thick rope, and pull the small strings that are linked to the thick strings. Participants are divided into two groups based on where they live in proximity to Osipcheon Stream, which flows through downtown Samcheok. The game’s legend said that the winning village areas would receive a prosperous
year, a big catch, and have luck throughout the year.
- [Cultural Events]
- Sokdak Gijuldarigi
- Medium Gijuldarigi
- Large Gijuldarigi
* Programs subject to change.
From Dong Seoul Bus Terminal, take an express bus bound for Samcheok Bus Terminal.
- Walk toward Samwon Tower, which is across the street from the bus terminal, and continue walking straight for 450m to arrive at Samcheok Expo Square.
- fullmoonfestival.or.kr (Korean only)