VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.
- 10.06.2017 ~ 10.08.2017
- 143 Nammun 2-ro, Haemi-myeon, Seosan-si, Chungcheongnam-do
충청남도 서산시 해미면 남문2로 143 (해미면)
- Haemieupseong Fortress area
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-41-669-5050
- Sponsors / Management
- Seosan-si / Seosan Cultural Center Haemieupseong Fortress Historical Experience Festival Organizing Committee (Seosan Cultural Center)
The Haemieupseong Fortress in Seosan City is the most intact fortress in Korea. Built around 600 years ago during the Joseon period, the fortress is a historically significant site where both
the commander-in-chief of Chungcheong-do Province and the great Admiral Yi Sun-shin had once served. It is also a sacred ground of
martyrs as nearly 1,000 Roman Catholics were executed in 1866. In modern times, the fortress served
as the backdrop for the turbulent Donghak Peasants Revolution (1894) and Catholic Persecution.
The Seosan Haemieupseong Festival offers a variety of exciting programs with
a theme of the traditional Korean market. This includes diverse cultural performances such as tightrope walking, folk music, traditional orchestral music, and outdoor theatricals. Visitors to the festival will also have a chance to experience hands-on activities like traditional crafts, folk games, and drawing performances.
- Scheduled Programs:
Great King Taejong military marching parade, traditional orchestra performance,
Experiential Programs: The City Walls Are Alive
Folk Performances: Seosan puppet
play, Simhwayeong solo ritual dance, Seosan Jijeom play, Ungsoseong-ri Equiem, Seosan
Yongdaegi play, etc.
Contests: Korean traditions contest, Joseon era sports
Traditional Rituals Programs: Traditional wedding, traditional 60th
Permanent Programs: Government/litigation/courts, market
program, visiting outside the walls, traditional arts and crafts
Programs, parallel events (booth), etc.
* Culture festival: Bongsan mask dance, local culture show, etc.
* Activity festival: Learning about Haemieeupseong (visit and experience), nature activities, etc.
* Subject to change.
- Admission/Participation Fees
- Varies by per program/activity.
- Age Limit
- Open to all year round
- - From Central
City Terminal, take an express bus bound for Seosan Bus Terminal. (Travel time: 1 hour 50 min; First
bus: 06:00; Intervals: 20 -30 min)
- From Seoul Nambu Terminal, take an express bus bound for Seosan Bus Terminal. (Travel time: 1 hour 50 min; First
bus: 06:30; Intervals: 10 -40 min)
- From Daejeon Bus Terminal, take an express bus bound for Seosan Bus Terminal. (Travel time: 1 hour 40 min; First
bus: 06:50; Intervals: 30 min)
At Seosan Bus Terminal take bus 510, 511, or 150 heading to the Air Force (공군부대) and get off at the Haemi Terminal Bus Stop.
From the bus stop head north, turn right at the post office (first big intersection) and the fortress will be on your left (about 300
m from the bus stop).
- www.haemifest.com (Korean only)