Destinations by Region

Uireung Royal Tomb [UNESCO World Heritage] (서울 의릉(경종, 선의왕후) [유네스코 세계문화유산])

  • Uireung Royal Tomb [UNESCO World Heritage] (서울 의릉(경종, 선의왕후) [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Uireung Royal Tomb [UNESCO World Heritage] (서울 의릉(경종, 선의왕후) [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Uireung Royal Tomb [UNESCO World Heritage] (서울 의릉(경종, 선의왕후) [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Uireung Royal Tomb [UNESCO World Heritage] (서울 의릉(경종, 선의왕후) [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Uireung Royal Tomb [UNESCO World Heritage] (서울 의릉(경종, 선의왕후) [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Uireung Royal Tomb [UNESCO World Heritage] (서울 의릉(경종, 선의왕후) [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Uireung Royal Tomb [UNESCO World Heritage] (서울 의릉(경종, 선의왕후) [유네스코 세계문화유산])
Address
146-20, Hwarang-ro 32-gil, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul
서울특별시 성북구 화랑로32길 146-20 (석관동)
Type
Monuments/ Historical Sites
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-2-964-0579
Homepage
royaltombs.cha.go.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
  • Information
    Introduction
    Uireung is the royal tomb of King Gyeongjong (1688-1724, reign 1720-1724), the 20th ruler of the Joseon dynasty, and his second wife, Queen Seonui (1705-1730).

    King Gyeongjong was the first son of King Sukjong and Janghuibin, who was one of King Sukjong’s concubines. King Gyeongjong, who was born weak and anemic, died four years after becoming the king, without any great political achievements. As a result, Queen Seonui became the crown princess in 1718 and queen in 1720 when King Gyeongjong ascended to the throne. She is known to have had a kind heart and prudent personality.

    Uireung’s tombs differ from the other royal double tombs in that they are not placed side-by-side. Instead, according to geomantic theory, one tomb has been placed directly behind the other one. The arrangement also shows that when making tombs, Korean ancestors did their best to protect the natural environment. Another feature of Uireung Royal Tomb are the stone fence raised using twelve stone posts. Each post has a letter inscribed, each representing one of the twelve sibijisin gods.

    Telephone
    +82-2-964-0579

    Current Status
    UNESCO World Heritage (Designated in 2009)
    Historic Site No. 204 (Designated on May 26, 1970)

    Closed
    Mondays

    Duration
    1 hour

    Operating Hours
    February-May, September-October 09:00-18:00
    June-August 09:00-18:30
    November-January 09:00-17:30
    * Last admission is one hour before closing.

    Parking Facilities
    80 parking spaces (Free)

    Admission Fees
    [General admission]
    Individuals: Adults 1,000 won / Children & Teenagers 500 won
    Groups: Adults 800 won / Children & Teenagers 400 won

    * Last admission: 1 hour before closing.
    * Groups: 10 or more people
    * Adults (ages 19-64) / Children & Teenagers (ages 7-19)
    * Children aged 6 & under and senior citizens aged 65 & over may enter free of charge.
    ID must be presented at the ticket box.

    [Other passes]
    Hourly pass: 30,000 won
    * Viewing hours 12:00-13:00
    * Valid for 1 year

    Lunch pass: 3,000 won
    * Viewing hours12:00-14:00 (last admission is at 13:00)
    * Limited to 10 times

    Monthly pass: 10,000 won
    * Visitors may enter freely within operating hours
    * Valid for 1 month

    [Free entry]
    * All visitors on the last Wednesday of each month (Culture Day).
    * Visitors wearing hanbok.

    Facilities for the Handicapped
    Wheelchair rental service, designated toilet and parking lot

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.