Destinations by Region

Sosuseowon Confucian Academy [UNESCO World Heritage] (소수서원 [유네스코 세계문화유산])

  • Sosuseowon Confucian Academy [UNESCO World Heritage] (소수서원 [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Sosuseowon Confucian Academy [UNESCO World Heritage] (소수서원 [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Sosuseowon Confucian Academy [UNESCO World Heritage] (소수서원 [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Sosuseowon Confucian Academy [UNESCO World Heritage] (소수서원 [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Sosuseowon Confucian Academy [UNESCO World Heritage] (소수서원 [유네스코 세계문화유산])
  • Sosuseowon Confucian Academy [UNESCO World Heritage] (소수서원 [유네스코 세계문화유산])
Address
2740, Sobaek-ro, Yeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
경상북도 영주시 순흥면 소백로 2740
Type
Monuments/ Historical Sites
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-54-639-7691, 7695
Homepage
www.yeongju.go.kr (Korean only)
  • Information
    Introduction
    Sosuseowon Confucian Academy is situated at the foothill of Sobaeksan Mountain. Sosuseowon was the first to receive a royal charter as a private Confucian academy along with financial support and acknowledgement by the king. This academy was originally founded under the name Baegundongseowon in 1542 by a Confucian scholar Ju Se-bung, who was also the magistrate of Punggi County at the time. Baegundongseowon first started as an academic institution that enshrined a memorial tablet of An Hyang, a Confucian scholar whom Ju Se-bung had deep respect for. After Ju Se-bung left the county, Toegye Yi Hwang, a renowned Confician scholar, became his successor and made an official request to the king to be granted a royal charter. The request was well received, and the king renamed the institution to its current name, Sosuseowon.

    Current Status
    UNESCO World Heritage (Designated on July 6, 2019)
    [Lecture Hall of Sosuseowon Confucian Academy] Treasure No. 1403 (Designated on April 6, 2004)
    [Munseonggong Shrine of Sosuseowon Confucian Academy] Treasure No. 1402 (Designated on April 6, 2004)
    [Painting of Confucius and disciples at Sosuseowon] Treasure No. 485 (Designated on December 19, 1968)
    [Portrait of An Hyang] National Treasure No. 111 (Designated on December 20, 1962)

    Tour Course Information
    Sosuseowon Confucian Academy - Sosu Museum - Seonbicheon Village

    Operating Hours
    March-May & September-October 09:00-18:00
    June-August 09:00-19:00
    November-February 09:00-17:00
    * Admission is one hour before closing.

    Parking Facilities
    Available (Free)

    Interpretation Services Offered
    English, Chinese, Japanese

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.