Destinations by Region

Chojijin Fortress (초지진)

  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)
  • Chojijin Fortress (초지진)

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.

Address
624, Choji-ri, Gilsang-myeon, Ganghwa-gun, Incheon
인천 강화군 길상면 초지리 624 (해안동로 58)
Type
Monuments/ Historical Sites
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-32-930-7072-3
Homepage
www.ghss.or.kr
(Korean only)
  • Information
    Introduction
    Chojijin Fortress was built in 1656 for the purpose of national defense against seashore attacks from foreign enemies. Chojijin Fortress also encompasses the fortifications of Jangjapyeongdon and Seomamdon, which were constructed in 1679. Chojijin was the scene of many hard-fought battles during Byeonginyangyo (the French invasion in 1866), Sinmiyangyo (the American invasion in 1871), and the confrontation with the Japanese warship Unyomaru in 1875. On April 23, 1871, the American navy under the command of Rear Admiral John Rodgers landed on Ganghwado Island, and an American force of 450 soldiers attacked Chojijin Fort, Deokjin Camp, and Gwangseongjin Camp one after another. On August 21, 1875, the artillery of Chojijin engaged a fierce firefight with the Japanese warship Wunyoho.

    Chojijin Fortress was restored in 1973, and bullet marks still remain on the old pine trees and the fortress walls. The canons used by the military of the Joseon Dynasty are displayed in Chojijin.

    Telephone
    +82-32-930-7072-3

    Current Status
    Historic Site No. 225 (Designated on December 28, 1971)

    Closed
    N/A (Open all year round)

    Operating Hours
    Nov-Feb 09:00-17:00
    Mar-May & Sep-October 09:00-18:00
    Jun-Aug 08:30-18:30

    Parking Facilities
    Available

    Admission Fees
    Admission Tickets
    Adults: Individual 700 won / Group 600 won
    Children & Youths: Individual 500 won / Group 400 won


    Restrooms
    Available

    Facilities for the Handicapped
    Reserved parking spaces, restrooms

    Parking Fees
    Free

    Interpretation Services Offered
    Not available

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation