Destinations by Region

Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)

  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
  • Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park (북촌 돌하르방공원)
Address
70, Bukchonseo 1-gil, Jeju-si, Jeju-do
제주특별자치도 제주시 조천읍 북촌서1길 70
Type
Parks
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-64-782-0570
Homepage
@hellodolharbang (Korean only)
  • Information
    Introduction
    As a main symbol of Jeju Island, Dol Hareubang, literally meaning "Old Grandfather" stone statues, can be found everywhere on the island. However, despite their wide appearance, a lack of historical documents has hampered the true understanding of the statues. Bukchon Dol Hareubang Park puts together a wide variety of the statutes and, in doing so, illuminates their aesthetic and scholarly importance to visitors as well as future generations. In this sense, the park is not only a tourist attraction, but also a learning center for children and adults alike. The park consists of 48 Dol Hareubang, a promenade, reinterpreted Dol Hareubang focusing on the theme of peace, a traditional local garden with walking paths, and a learning center.

    Dol Hareubang were previously called by various names, including Useokmok, Museokmok, or Byeoksumeori. Dol Hareubang became the official name in 1971 after being designated as a local folk heritage. Although Dol Hareubang were originally seen only around the entrance of government seats, there are over 48 officially recognized Dol Hareubang throughout the island (21 in Jeju City, 2 in National Folk Museum of Korea, 12 in Seongeup, and 13 in Daejeong), along with many replicas. The shamanistic statues are believed to be offering protection and warding off demons. According to Tamnaji (Record of Tamna), Dol Hareubang are believed to have been initiated by Kim Mong-gyu, then Magistrate of Jeju in 1754 (30th year of King Yeongjo’s reign).

    Duration
    Approx. 50 min

    Operating Hours
    09:00-17:30

    Parking Facilities
    Available

    Admission Fees
    Adults 6,000 won / Teenagers 4,000 won

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.