Royal palaces like Gyeongbokgung Palace, Gyeonghuigung Palace and Changgyeonggung Palace are some of the many must-see tourist attractions in Seoul. As well as exploring the palace grounds, visitors can enjoy several experiential programs that enable one to truly take in the culture of these royal places.
Particularly at Gyeongbokgung Palace, a reenactment of the historical Royal Guard Changing Ceremonies is held daily. After watching the ceremony, you can try on the guards' costumes and have your photo taken with them. In addition, visitors can also try hanboks from Deoksugung Palace and Unhyeongung Royal Residence, where the clothes fitting programs are offered.
Currently in each palace, special programs such as Moonlight Tour at Changdeokgung Palace, special exhibition at Gyeonghoeru Pavilion and more are available. Please double check the information prior to your visit to avoid any unexpected inconveniences.
Gyeongbokgung Palace Sumungun (Gatekeeper) Costume Experience LINK
- Location: Sumunjangcheong (Gate Guard Headquarters) at Gyeongbokgung Palace
- Directions: Gyeongbokgung Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 5 and walk for about 7-min.
- Operating hours: 10:00-14:00 (Before or after the daily royal guard changing ceremonies. Not available on Tuesdays)
※ Costume experience is on a first-come, first-served basis; About 5-min given per individual for fitting experience.
※ Participants are limited to areas around the Gate Guard Headquarters when wearing the costumes.
- Fees: Free of charge
- Website: www.royalpalace.go.kr (Korean, English)
Deoksugung Palace Hanbok Experience LINK
- Location: Daehanmun Gate at Deoksugung Palace
- Directions: City Hall Station (Seoul Subway Line 1), Exit 2 and walk for about 2-min. / City Hall Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 12 and walk for about 2-min.
- Operating hours: 10:40-11:30 / 13:40-14:30 / 15:20-16:00 (Excluding Mondays)
※ Costume experience is on a first-come, first-served basis; About 10-min given per individual for fitting experience.
※ Participants are limited to areas in front of Daehanmun Gate at Deoksugung Palace when wearing the costumes.
- Fees: Free of charge
- Website: www.deoksugung.go.kr (Korean, English)
Unhyeongung Royal Residence Hanbok Experience LINK
- Location: Unhyeongung Royal Residence
- Directions: Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 4 and walk for about 2-min.
- Operating hours: Early April to end October (10:00-18:00) / Early November to end March (10:00-17:00)
※ Hanbok fitting experience not available during lunch time (12:00-13:00) and Mondays. (Exception: If Monday is a public holiday, it will be operating as regular.)
※ Costume experience is on a first-come, first-served basis; About 20-min given per individual for fitting experience.
- Fee: 3,300 won per hanbok set (limited to be worn within Unhyeongung Royal Residence)
- Website: www.unhyeongung.or.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
This page was last updated in June 2016, and therefore information may differ from what is presented here. We advise you to check details from the official websites before visiting.<Last updated on June 10, 2016>