Royal palaces like Gyeongbokgung Palace, Gyeonghuigung Palace and Changgyeonggung Palace are some of the many must-see tourist attractions in Seoul. As well as exploring the palace grounds, visitors can enjoy several experience programs that enable one to truly take in the culture of these royal places.
One of the major events held at Gyeongbokgung Palace and Deoksugung Palace is the reenactment of the historical Royal Guard Changing Ceremony. For a more personal experience, visitors can try wearing hanbok (traditional Korean clothes) for free at Deoksugung Palace as well as at Unhyeongung Royal Residence, a famous filming site from the drama “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (2016).”
Special events such as Moonlight Tour at Changdeokgung Palace, special exhibition at Gyeonghoeru Pavilion, night admission, and more are also available on a seasonal basis. Please double check the information prior to your visit to avoid any unexpected inconveniences.
Permanent Experience Programs at Royal Palaces
- Location: Daehanmun Gate at Deoksugung Palace
- Program: Deoksugung Palace Royal Guard Changing Ceremony and free hanbok experience
- Operating hours
Deoksugung Palace Royal Guard Changing Ceremony: Three times a day at 11:00, 14:00, 15:30
Free hanbok experience: 10:30-11:30, 13:30-14:30, 15:00-16:00 Ceremony and hanbok experience not available on Mondays Subject to cancellation or closure during adverse weather (i.e. rain, snow, extremely cold or hot weather condition)
- Fee: Free
- Website: www.deoksugung.go.kr (Korean, English)
* Visitors wearing experience program hanbok are not allowed to enter the palace; free hanbok experience program participants must stay within the courtyard by Daehanmun Gate.
- Location: Planned Exhibition Room within Unhyeongung Royal Residence
- Program: Free hanbok experience
- Operating hours: April-October 10:00-18:00 / November-March 10:00-17:00 Closed during lunch hours 12:00-13:00 Closed Mondays (Open under normal operating hours if a public holiday falls on a Monday) Free hanbok experience limited to 20 minutes
- Fee: 3,300 won / Additional fee may apply for accessories
- Website: www.unhyeongung.or.kr (Korean, English)
* Operating hours and fees are subject to change. Please check in advance.
* Hanbok experience programs are available on a first-come, first-served basis on-site.
* Traditional culture programs at each palace are subject to change based on the season. Please check in advance.
☞ Related page: Hanbok Programs
☞ 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Malay)
This page was last updated on January 20, 2020, and therefore information may differ from what is presented here.