Gangwon-do is home to the Baekdudaegan Mountain Range, which stretches north-south along the entire province. Lush mountains and pristine waters surround its 18 beautiful cities and counties, and due to wet winter winds across the Taebaeksan Mountains, the province gets a lot of snow. Therefore most of Korea's ski resorts are located in the province, making it the winter sports capital. Boasting beautiful snow-capped views, Gangwon-do is an ideal winter getaway.
Brimming with nature’s riches
To the east lies the azure blue waters of the East Sea, and along the Taebaeksan Mountain Range, the backbone of the Korean Peninsula, Seoraksan, Odaesan, Chiaksan and Taebaeksan Mountains each show off their splendid beauty. Often referred to as the “lungs of Korea,” Gangwon-do's clean air, peaceful valleys and breathtaking views are scattered throughout lush forests. Experience true relaxation, and revitalize your tired body and mind in the pristine, untouched natural environment of Gangwon-do.
Seoraksan National Park
With Daecheongbong Peak at its summit, Seoraksan Mountain, whose name literally means “mountain of snow and rocks,” features unique rock formations such as Ulsanbawi Rock and Gongnyong Ridge. Seoraksan also offers beautiful views of the Sibiseonnyeotang Valley and Daeseung Falls.
Odaesan National Park
Featuring five peaks including Birobong Peak at the summit, Odaesan Mountain is an eco-repository home to fir trees that grow tall even in cold regions, a protected Korean pine colony, and Korean fir trees that are over 100 years old.
Chiaksan National Park
They say the best scenery on Chiaksan Mountain is its autumn foliage, but its winter snowscape is just as breathtaking. The main ridge stretches from north to south, with snowflakes guided by northwest winds and crystalline hoar frost creating a magnificent view.
Leisure sports in Gangwon-do
To make the most of the beautiful natural environment of Gangwon-do, try various leisure sports and enjoy the green forests, crystal clear waters, and clean air of the great outdoors.
Soar across the blue sky as if flying.
Rafting in the plentiful, crystal clear waters of Gangwon-do is a summer sports highlight.
- How to Get There
How to Get There
You can go from Seoul to Gangwon-do by train or express/intercity bus. Trains offer beautiful views of nature, while buses are faster.
- Add : 214, Wangsan-ro, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul
- Tel : +82-1544-7755
- Web : www.letskorail.com
Express busDong Seoul Bus Terminal
- Add : 50, Gangbyeon Station, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul (across from Gangbyeon Stn, Subway Line 2)
- Tel : +82-1688-5979
- Web : www.ti21.co.kr
- Add : 194, Sinbanpo-ro, Seocho-gu, Seoul (Express Bus Terminal Stn, Subway Lines 3, 7 & 9)
- Tel : +82-1688-4700
- Web : www.exterminal.co.kr
- Add : 190 Sinbanpo-ro, Seocho-gu, Seoul
- Tel : +82-1544-5551 / +82-2-6282-0114
- Web : centralcityseoul.co.kr
Tour informationCyber Gangwon Tourism
- Web : www.gangwon.to
- Nearby Attractions
Gangwon-do’s Nearby attractions
Daegwallyeong Samyang Ranch
Take a walk across the vast blanket of snow covering a large ranch and enjoy the picturesque scenery. Although you may be able to see the cows in the winter season (November to April), ostriches, sheep, and rabbits can be seen at the ranch all year round. On clear days, the ranch observatory offers magnificent views of the East Sea beyond the sparkling blanket of snow.
- Add : 708-9, Kkotbatyangji-gil, Daegwallyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do
- Tel : +82-33-335-5044
- Web : www.samyangranch.co.kr
- Nearby Resorts : 12Km from YongPyong Resort / 13Km from Alpensia Resort / 49km from Phoenix Pyeongcha
The most beautiful fir tree forest trail in Korea leads to the 1,000-year-old Woljeongsa Temple, surrounded by an evergreen forest in the natural environment of Odaesan Mountain. If you walk along the tall firs concentrating on the sounds of nature, all your troubles and worries will disappear, at least for the time being.
- Add : 374-8, Odaesan-ro, Jinbu-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do
- Tel : +82-33-339-6800
- Web : www.woljeongsa.org
- Nearby Resorts : 20km from Alpensia Resort / 22km from Yongpyong Resort / 40km from Phoenix Pyeongchang
Samtan Art Mine
This abandoned coal mine, which still preserves the hard work of miners from past eras, was restored into a culture and arts facility where artists can tap into their passion. It houses over 100,000 works collected from more than 150 countries, as well as equipment and tools used by miners.
- Add : 1445-44, Hambaeksan-ro, Gohan-eup, Jeongseon-gun, Gangwon-do
- Tel : +82-33-591-3001
- Web : www.samtanartmine.com
- Nearby Resort : 6km from High1 Resort
Taebaeksan National Park
Situated at the heart of the Baekdudaegan Mountain Range, Taebaeksan is a sacred mountain with fantastic views of hoar frost as well as spring azaleas. In the winter, the mountain’s symbolic 500-year-old yew tree and a yew colony of 2,800 trees are embroidered by a fantastic snowscape. The summit offers breathtaking views of the sunrise over the East Sea and the sunset illuminating the Taebaeksan Mountains.
- Add : 168, Cheonjedan-gil, Taebaek-si, Gangwon-do (Taebaeksan National Park Office)
- Tel : +82-33-550-0000
- Web : taebaek.knps.or.kr
- Nearby Resort : 28Km from High1 Resort
Well known as a filming site for the ever-popular Korean TV drama Winter Sonata, Nami Island (or Namiseom) boasts a unique and somewhat romantic atmosphere. One of the most famous locations on the island is the tree-lined road, which greets visits with different colors throughout the year. Namiseom is an ideal place to spend the day, or two, exploring nature.
- Add : 1, Namiseom-gil, Namsan-myeon, Chuncheon-si, Gangwon-do
- Tel : +82-31-580-8114
- Web : www.namisum.com
- Nearby Resort : 13km from Elysian Gangchon / 41km from Vivaldi Park
According to legend, Guryongsa, which literally translates to "temple of nine dragons," was built in a place where nine dragons used to live. The temple’s precincts, marked by the footsteps of countless Buddhist monks, are surrounded by a lush pine forest. It features a popular walkway, magnificent valleys and glistening red pine trees.
- Add : 500, Guryongsa-ro, Socho-myeon, Wonju-si, Gangwon-do
- Tel : +82-33-732-4800
- Web : www.guryongsa.or.kr
- Nearby Resort : 30km from Welli Hilli Park / 40km from Oak Valley