1. What is the “Cosmetic Surgery V.A.T Refund”?
○ International patients who have undergone cosmetic surgery and/or procedures (“cosmetic surgery”) in Korea can receive a 10% value-added tax (VAT) refund on their medical expenses.
2. Who can get the refund? (A person must satisfy all the requirements below.)
○ Persons who have no address or place of residence in the Republic of Korea
○ Persons who have undergone cosmetic surgery at a Special Medical Institution among medical institutions approved and registered with the Ministry of Health and Welfare following the Act on Supporting of Overseas Expansion of Medical Services and Attraction of International Patients
* It is applied only to cosmetic surgery. Not all medical institutions registered for the attraction of international patients with the Ministry of Health and Welfare are applicable.
** Special Medical Institutions list may be subject to change, so ensure in advance that they are available medical institutions for a tax refund.
○ Persons who depart within three months from the date of cosmetic surgery
3. Refund Period
○ Until December 2020 (If a deadline is extended for any reason, an announcement will be posted on our website.)
4. Refund Items
○ Double Eyelid, Rhinoplasty, Breast Surgery (Reduction/Augmentation), Liposuction, Face lift, Facial Bone Contouring, Teeth Whitening, Laminate, Gingivoplasty, Orthognathic Surgery
○ Nevus pigmentosus, Freckles, Lentigo, Chloasma, Pimple, Hair Removal, Hair Loss, Hair Transplant, Tattoo, Tattoo Removal, Piercing, Lipolysis, Skin Regeneration, Skin Whitening, Antiaging, Pore Tightening
5. Required Documents
○ A Special Medical Institution that has performed the surgery will provide a Certificate of Selling Medical Service for the overseas patient (“Certificate”) after medical treatment.
○ Depending on the refund point, a Consent to collect, use, and disclose personal information (“Consent”) may be required.
6. Refund Procedure
Issue a “Certificate” after medical treatment → Submit “Certificate” at a refund point (e.g., airport, port, downtown) → Verify the departure of the patient → VAT refund
① Receive the “Certificate” after confirming the identity of the international patient through a passport at a Special Medical Institution that has performed the cosmetic surgery.
② Submit the “Certificate” at refund point within three months after receiving medical treatment
○ At the airport or port
i. Airport(port) with refund counter in the bonded zone
- Locations: Incheon International Airport (Gate 27, Fourth level), Gimhae-si·Jeju· Gimpo-si·Cheongju International Airport and First Incheon· Second Incheon·Busan· Port of Pyeongtaek-Dangjin, etc.
- Submit the “Certificate” to refund counter or KIOSK and get a refund without a separate confirmation of departure because you already passed the immigration inspection.
ii. Airport(port) with no refund counter
- Locations: Muan-gun·Yangyang-gun·Daegu airport and Gunsan-si·Jeju port, etc.
- (Before departure) Put the “Certificate” and “Consent” into the mailbox next to customs.
- (After departure) Mail the “Certificate” and “Consent” out to the refund operator.
- Refund after confirming departure.
○ At the downtown
- Location: Ask the hospital about the nearest refund point
- Submit the “Certificate” and “Consent”
- In some cases, the refund counter operator may request a guarantee such as a flight ticket to confirm a departure date.
- Refund after confirming departure. (Total medical expenses: Less than KRW 5 million )
○ Medical Korea Information Center: +82-1577-7129 / email@example.com
* As the above information may be subject to change, please confirm it in advance with the Special Medical Institution.