T-money is a transportation card as well as a device used to pay for taxi fares and, in some cases, transactions at convenience stores. The T-money function is often added onto various payment (credit/debit) and discount travel cards. T-money can be used on public buses and subways in several different metropolitan cities and locations including Seoul-si, Gyeonggi-do, Daejeon-si, Incheon-si, Daegu-si and Busan-si. When using T-money, the public transportation fare is 100 won cheaper than paying with cash, and, unlike cash fares, T-money can be used when transferring from one bus to another, one subway line to another, or from bus to subway or vice versa (within a transfer time limit) at no extra charge. Also, T-money does away with the hassle of purchasing single journey subway tickets, and when you are finished using your T-money card, the remaining balance can be refunded after a 500 won service charge.
• Price: 2,500 won
• Areas accepting T-money
• Sales Locations: Convenience stores (GS 25, CU, Mini Stop, Buy The Way, 7-Eleven, Story Way) bearing the T-Money logo and Ticket Vending and Card Reload Devices inside subway stations
• Recharge/Refund Locations: All sales locations
1. Upon boarding the bus, place a T-money card on the sensor bearing the T-money logo located at the front of the bus until it beeps. The sensor will display the amount charged on the top and the remaining balance at the bottom.
2. Before getting off the bus, place the T-money card on the sensor located at the back of the bus until it beeps. It will display any additional charges, which are levied by distance traveled, and can now be used for free transfers within a specific time limit.
1. Place a T-money card on the sensor bearing the T-money logo located on top of each of the subway turnstiles until it beeps. The sensor will display the amount charged on the top and the remaining balance at the bottom. If you are transferring, the amount charge may appear as "0" (zero).
2. Place the T-money card on the sensor until it beeps when exiting through the turnstiles. It will display any additional charges, which are levied by distance traveled, and can now be used for free transfers within a specific time limit.
Transfer discounts are applied on bus/subway fares only when using T-money. For instance, when transferring while traveling within a 10㎞ distance, if you use T-money, then transferring is free. This is a much better deal than using cash, as you would have to pay the basic fare each time you transfer. You can transfer a maximum of four times.
|Subway||Adults||1,050 won||1,150 won||
Base fare (first 10㎞): 1,050 won
10-40㎞: 100 won per 5㎞
+40㎞: 100 won per 10㎞
|Youth||720 won||1,150 won|
|Children||450 won||500 won|
|Blue Bus / Green Bus (4-digit number)||Adults||1,050 won||1,150 won||Up to three children (age 6 and under) accompanied by an adult may ride the bus for free|
|Youth||720 won||1,000 won|
|Children||450 won||450 won|
|Green Village Bus (2-digit number)||Adults||750 won||850 won|
|Youth||480 won||550 won|
|Children||300 won||300 won|
|Yellow Bus||Adults||850 won||950 won|
|Youth||560 won||800 won|
|Children||350 won||350 won|
|Red Bus||Adults||1,850 won||1,950 won|
|Youth||1,360 won||1,800 won|
|Children||1,200 won||1,200 won|
• Related Column: New Bus System of Seoul
The T-money card is rechargeable in amounts ranging from 1,000 won to 90,000 won at any of the T-money vendors or Ticket Vending and Card Reload Devices inside most subway stations.
For a remaining T-money balance of 20,000 won or less, you may receive a refund following a 500 won service fee at a partner convenience store (GS 25, CU, Mini Stop, Buy The Way, 7-Eleven) bearing the T-money logo. If the remaining balance exceeds 20,000 won, you may receive a refund at the T-money Headquarters. T-money Cards are not returnable. For more information, please visit the official T-money website and click "Foreigner Guide."
Metropolitan Pass or M-Pass is a transportation card that offers 20 rides a day for the duration of the pass in the Seoul Metropolitan City area, including Seoul Subway Lines 1-9, Incheon Subway, AREX's (Incheon Airport Railroad Express) standard train (i.e. not the express train), metropolitan trains (except the Sinbundang Line), and Seoul Buses (except red buses).
M-Passes come in five different types: 1-day, 2-day, 3-day, 5-day and 7-day passes. They are valid for the designated time period, and expire at midnight on the last day of validity. (e.g. 3-day M-Pass Activation: January 1, 2014 / Expiration: 11:59 p.m., January 3, 2014)
As M-Pass has the T-money function, it can be used on buses, taxis, and at select convenience stores as long as there is a usable T-money balance. Once you have used all of the M-pass' allotted subway rides, it can still be used as a T-money card.
|1-day pass||10,000 won|
|2-day pass||18,000 won|
|3-day pass||25,500 won|
|5-day pass||42,500 won|
|7-day pass||59,500 won|
M-Passes are available for purchase at Seoul Travel Information Centers (I-Tour Seoul Centers) in the Incheon International Airport Passenger Terminal. When buying an M-Pass, you must pay a refundable deposit of 4,500 won, and a non-refundable service charge of 500 won. Also, you will receive discount admission coupons to popular tourist attractions. The deposit as well as any remaining T-money balance on the M-Pass is refunded when you return it to any of the I-Tour Seoul Centers.
M-Pass Refunds (M-Pass must be returned to Seoul Travel Information Centers located in the Incheon International Airport)
- 4,500-won deposit
- Remaining T-money balance
M-Pass Details (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
Seoul City Pass Plus is a transportation card with the T-money function and additional tourist benefits that can be used in and around Seoul. The card can be used for transactions at four royal palaces (Gyeongbokgung, Changdeokgung, Changgyeonggung, and Deoksugung), Jongmyo Shrine, as well as many convenience stores. The card also offers 5% off rides on the Seoul City Tour Bus, (http://www.seoulcitybus.com (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)) and discounts at dozens of tourist sites and shops including restaurants, exhibitions, opticians, and beauty salons. You can receive the remaining balance and a refund for the purchase fee for the Seoul City Pass Plus card at the designated sales locations following a 500 won service fee.
• Sales/Recharge locations: Convenience stores (GS25, CU, Mini Stop, Buy The Way, 7-eleven) bearing the T-money logo
• Price: 3,000 won (Discount guide booklet included)
• Transportation: Buses, subways, and Seoul City Tour Bus in the Seoul Metropolitan City area
Last updated on November 12, 2014