- SECRET GARDEN
Aug 28, 8pm Sejong Center for the Performing Arts KRW 33,000–143,000 T. 02-720-3933
- Secret Garden, an Irish-Norwegian duo playing new instrumental music, is returning to the Korea stage on August 28 with its signature new age, crossover renditions. The duo has sold over three million albums and won the Eurovision Song Contest for Norway in 1995 with the composition “Nocturne.” Their accomplishment at Eurovision spearheaded the success of their first album, Songs From a Secret Garden. It sold a million copies around the world, going platinum in Norway and Korea, in particular.
- SEOUL INT’L YOUTH FILM FESTIVAL (SIYFF)
Aug 22–29 Arirang Cine & Media Center General screening: KRW 6,000 T. 02-775-0501
www.siyff.com Sungshin Women’s University Station 성신여대입구역 (Line 4), Exit 6
- The Seoul International Youth Film Festival will kick off its 15th edition on August 22, featuring 40-plus films that have been created by young adult directors or that depict peculiar adolescent issues. Under the auspices of the Seoul Metropolitan Government, SIYFF also hosts a number of satellite events such as a film camp for aspiring teenage filmmakers and educational forums on media copyright and school violence. Screening sites are concentrated in the Seongbuk-gu district, near Korea University
- JECHEON INT’L MUSIC & FILM FESTIVAL (JIMFF)
Aug 14–19 Various locations in Jecheon, Chungcheongbuk-do General screening: KRW 5,000 T. 02-925-2242 www.jimff.org
Intercity buses bound for Jecheon depart from Express Bus Terminal or Dong Seoul Bus Terminal.
- Due for August 14 through 19, JIMFF
strives to celebrate films that feature exhilarating music, enriching the local film festival scene. World Music Film Today, JIMFF's sole competition section, will present eight films from around the world this year. Other sections will introduce the various aspects of music cinema and showcase a number of musical performances outdoors against the beautiful landscape of Cheongpungho Lake.
- ALPHONSE MUCHA
Thru Sep 22 Hangaram Gallery, Seoul Arts Center KRW 12,000 T. 1666-2775 www.mucha2013.com Nambu Bus Terminal Station 남부터미널역 (Line 3), Exit 5. Transfer to shuttle bus, or green bus No. 4429.
- Alphonse Mucha, an iconic Art Nouveau painter and decorative artist, is the theme of an ongoing exhibition in Seoul. The exhibition, titled Art Nouveau and Utopia, showcases 235 works of the Czech artist's paintings, lithographs, drawings, sculptures, and photographs. Art Nouveau is a philosophical movement and style of art, architecture, and applied art—especially the decorative arts—that was most popular during 1890–1910 and has been reinvented through the history of modern and contemporary art.
- THE HYUNDAI CARD SUPER CONCERT 19 CITYBREAK
Aug 17–18, 1pm–11pm Jamsil Sports Complex 2-day pass: KRW 250,000, 1-day pass: KRW 165,000
T. 02-2176-5717 http://citybreak.superseries.kr Sports Complex Station 종합운동장역 (Line 2), Exit 6, 7
- The Hyundai Card Super Concert 19 Citybreak is bringing together such legendary bands as Metallica and Muse on the same stage. Metallica's fast tempos, instrumentals, and aggressive musicianship placed them as a founder of thrash metal. The American band has won nine Grammy Awards and has had five consecutive albums debut at number one on the Billboard 200. Muse, from Britain, are known for their energetic and extravagant live performances and their fusion of many music genres, including space rock, progressive rock, alternative rock, heavy metal, classical music, and electronica. Other bands, like Iggy And The Stooges, Limp Bizkit, Rise Against, and Japandroids, will also join the show.
- INCHEON PENTAPORT ROCK FESTIVAL
Aug 2–4 Int'l Business District, Songdo, Incheon 3-day pass: KRW 165,000, 2-day pass: KRW 143,000, 1-day
pass: KRW 99,000 T. 02-3775-1588 http://pentaportrock.com Int'l Business District Station 국제업무지구역
(Incheon Line), Exit 1
- The month of rock in Korea would not be complete without the Incheon Pentaport Rock Festival, which is looking much more impressive than previous years’ nu-metal-heavy lineups. Slated for Aug 2–4, the 2013 edition will feature Fall Out Boy, Testament, Steelheart, Skid Row, and four British rock bands: Suede, Mamas Gun, Glasvegas, and The Big Pink. This year, the venue has moved to Songdo International City, which can be accessed conveniently via Seoul's metropolitan subway system and intercity bus routes.
- Jisan World Rock Festival
Aug 2–4 Jisan Forest Resort, Icheon, Gyeonggi-do 3-day pass: KRW 250,000, 2-day pass: KRW 180,000, 1-day pass: KRW 125,000 T. 02-644-1200 www.jisanworldrockfestival.com Take a bus from Dong Seoul Bus Terminal to Icheon. Transfer to bus no. 12 and get off at Jisan Mart.
- Iconic rapper Nas and punk pop band Weezer are playing the Jisan World Rock Festival, which will be held Aug 2–4 in Icheon, southeast of Seoul. Catch them with other headliners like the Dandy Warhols, Switchfoot, Deerhoof, and Placebo. Funk masters Jamiroquai, led by frontman Jay Kay, will be a highlight on the list of performers that includes Korean rock acts like Crying Nut, No Brain, and Lowdown30. Heating up the event are DJs of global acclaim, including DJ Shut Da Mouth, DJ Conan, Bagagee Viphex 13, and Big Ear Crew.
- SUPERSONIC 2013
Aug 14–15 Olympic Park 2-day pass: KRW 176,000, 1-day pass: 77,000–88,000 T. 02-6002-7577 (ext. 8) www.supersonickorea.com Olympic Park Station 올림픽공원역 (Line 5), Exit 3
- SuperSonic Festival 2013—with the Pet Shop Boys, John Legend, Earth, Wind & Fire, and Two Door Cinema Club sharing the stage alongside Korean acts—will take place on Aug 14–15. PSB will bring its electric production to the first day of the festival, while electro-new wave pop duo Capital Cities will heat up the scene. Leading the pack of local artists is Cho Yong-pil, a veteran pop musician who is currently sweeping the charts with Hello, his first album in a decade. Other local bands include 10 cm, Dickpunks, and Jaurim.
- STARLIGHT, MOONLIGHT CONCERT
Aug 7—11 Seoul Namsan Traditional Theater KRW 10,000 www.sejongpac.or.kr
Chungmuro Station 충무로역 (Line 4), Exit 4
- A series of traditional concerts and performances will take place August 7—11 at the Starlight, Moonlight Concert at the outdoor stage of the Seoul Namsan Traditional Theater. The program will showcase two different genres. A musical production based on Korean folktales will be staged on August 7, 8, and 11, while the nights of August 9 and 10 will be devoted to Korean traditional music presented by the Seoul Metropolitan Traditional Orchestra. In an effort to enliven the atmosphere, organizers will provide Korean rice wine (makgeolli) for visitors to taste.
- 3-D INSECTS EXHIBITION
Thru Sep 1 KINTEX, Ilsan KRW 13,000 www.3dbugs-world.com
Daehwa Station 대화역 (Line 3), Exit 2
- Kids will have an opportunity to see the wonderful and diverse forms and shapes of insects in their natural environment at the 3-D Insects Exhibition with Larva. The show focuses on insects and their relationships with plants, animals, and humans. In addition to a section about the evolution of creepy crawlies, the exhibition showcases live insects and their environments. Discover a whole host of incredible insects. This is an extravaganza celebrating insects with lots of activities, games, crafts, tasty treats and fun for everyone!
- JUSTIN BIEBER
Oct 10, 8pm Gymnastics Arena, Olympic Park KRW 99,000--132,000 T. 02-3141-3488
Olympic Park Station 올림픽공원역 (Line 5), Exit 3
- Platinum-selling pop sensation Justin Bieber is bringing his Believe world tour to Korea in October. The tour was launched in support of his third studio album, Believe, released in 2012. With his debut extended play, the seven-track My World, he became the first artist to have seven songs from a debut record chart on the Billboard Hot 100. With a global fan base, known as “Beliebers”, he was named by Forbes in 2012 as the third-most powerful celebrity in the world.
- HOT SUMMER SALE COUPONS
Seoul Summer Sale 2013 Aug 1—31 www.seoulsale.com
- The Gangnam Tourist Information Center (T. 02-3445-0111, check p20—21) has recently opened its doors, with the aim of offering international tourists a range of services, including interpretation, consultations on medical tourism, Internet access, and currency exchange. The second floor of the center's two-story building features the K-Wave Experience Zone, dedicated to Korean pop culture. Visitors can also pick up a coupon book and gift pouch from the Seoul Hot Summer Sale 2013 (August 1—31), organized by the Seoul Metropolitan Government and the Seoul Tourism Organization.