|Jeongdong Theater (정동극장)|
|VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.|
|While walking along the intimate ambience of Deoksugung Doldam-gil, you will come across Jeongdong Theater. This theater was opened as a cultural space for locals citizens.
Opened on June 17, 1995, Jeongdong Theater is historically significant in that it represents the restored Wongaksa, the first modern theater in Korea. Founded on modern artistic inspirations, Jeongdong Theater features numerous critically-acclaimed productions, such as “Traditional Art Performance,” “Masters Exhibition,” and “Art Frontier,” as well as programs like “Art Stage at Noon” that are geared toward the general public. As a result, Jeongdong Theater has become one of Korea's representative traditional arts performance theaters.
The theater successfully held the performance “Miso” in 2010, featuring the traditional musical "Love Songs from Chunhyang," written and created by Jeongdong Theater. Through this, the musical attracted many foreign visitors from all over the world, passing on Korean cultural values and beauty, as well as creating interest on the global stage. As of now, the theater is showing the performance "The 2nd Story of Miso: Baebijang-jeon," a reinterpretation of the fundamental values of Korean cultural and art into the modern era. It can easily be enjoyed by people from all walks of life, whether Korean or not.
|282 seats (including 2 seats for wheelchairs)|
|MISO: Baebijiang-jeon (traditional arts performance) and more.|
|Age Limit for Activities|
|Visitors (ages 8 or more)|
1) Ssamji Courtyard
- Free performances are held during lunchtime in spring and fall.
2) Restaurant 'Gilji'
- Menu: Pasta, steak, risotto, coffee, and tea
- Operating Hours: 11:00-23:00
- Inquiries: +82-2-319-7083
* 2nd Floor
- Performance hall, lobby, customer center/ticket booth, and souvenir shop
- Ticketing hours: available starting from 1 hour prior to performance.
* Art Shop
- Main items: Souvenirs related to the performance "Miso" & traditional Korean crafts
- Operating hours: Open from 1 hour prior to performance, and closed after the performance.
|Customer support center, restaurant|
|Admission / Participation Fees|
|Varies by performance.
* Refer to the official website
|Limited parking space. Use of public transportation recommended.|
|Phone call or via website
* Inquiries: +82-2-751-1500
|Foreign Language Intepretation Services|
|Subtitles provided in English, Japanese & Chinese|
1) Seodaemun Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 5.
- Go straight 300m and turn right at the Jeongdong 4-way Intersection.
- Continue going straight 450m until you see the Jeongdong Theater on the left.
2) City Hall Station (Seoul Subway Line 1, 2), Exit 12.
- Walk 400m, following the stonewall road along Deoksugung Palace.
- Jeongdong Theater is located on the right side.
|jeongdong.or.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)|