goto content

  • sitemap
  • sign up
  • my page
  • visitkorea on Facebook
  • visitkorea on Twitter
  • visitkorea on YouTube
  • visitkorea on RSS


Korea Banner (Left)


Chungcheongbuk-do » Jecheon-si » Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)

print

Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)   
Cheongpung Cultural ...
Cheongpung Cultural ...
prev  
  • Cheongpung Cultural ...
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
  • Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지)
next
view pictures
Address
2048, Cheongpungho-ro, Cheongpung-myeon, Jecheon-si, Chungcheongbuk-do
충북 제천시 청풍면 청풍호로 2048
Type
Monuments
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-43-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
•For more info +82-43-641-5533
Homepage
www.okjc.net/tour (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.
Introduction
Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex (청풍문화재단지) in Jecheon, Chungcheongbuk-do contains a variety of cultural heritages and artifacts that were collected from the region before it was flooded in 1985 during the construction of Chungjuho Lake. Here, visitors can see Hanbyeokru Pavilion, Seokjo Yeoraeipsang Buddha, Paryeongru Pavilion, Geumanmru Pavilion, Geumbyeongheon Hall, Eungcheonggak Pavilion and the Cheongpung Confucian School as well as nearly 2,000 household artifacts. It has become an outdoor museum of the glorious culture of the upper reaches of Namhangang River.

Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex also offers a beautiful driving course of about 10km along the road from Multae-ri to Jecheon. The drive course is at a crooked road coming down along the ridges of Kumsusan Moutain. This road will unveil the incredible views of unusual rock formations standing along on the Kumsusan ridges with Cheongpung Lake City flowidng down under. Also, this road has been planted with cherry blossom trees on both sides, which are glittering in the spotlight of sunshine. Beginning in mid-April, the Cheongpung Cherry Blossom will be in full bloom just around the time for the festival, which is held in the area of Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex and Cheongpungho Lake. The Cheongpung Lake Cherry Blossom Festival is to host a lantern lighting event and the Yongsinje, a ceremony for the legendary dragon, on the night before the event. The main events include folk games and athletic games where many villagers and town citizens are participating to fasten the bond of the community. Other hands-on activities include cherry blossom photo shooting competition and a local food tasting where you can taste the delicacies of the region.


Hanbyeongnu Pavilion (National Treasure No. 528)
The building was a government office that was built during the four-year reign of Chungsuk, king of the Goryeo Dynasty (1317), in celebration of Cheongpung-hyeon becoming Cheongpung-gun, the larger unit of the administrative district. The building collapsed due to a massive flood in 1972 and then was reconstructed in 1975 according to the original architectural style. This pavilion was constructed on a stone pillar and a column was set on the top that employs the entasis method of applying a convex curve to its surface, (or a slight convexity in its shaft). The building has a façade consisting of a total of four compartments, and three on the flank, with a column of a Korean traditional gabled building in a Jusimpo-gye style. On the right side of the building’s base, ingnang rooms on both sides of the main gate were attached with a terraced style and gambrel roofs on the top, the façade of which has five compartments, one being on the side.

Eungcheonggak
The purpose of the building is still unknown, but it had stood side by side on the left side of the Hanbyeongnu Pavilion. Although there is no known established date, Lee Hwang (1501-1570), the Danyang county governor at that time, started to call it Eungcheonggak in the beginning, under the reign of King Myeong-jong. There is also a written document left by Jeong Se-gyu, the governor of Chungcheong-do, who stayed at the pavilion in 1637. Government official Hyeon In-bok repaired the pavilion in 1990 during the 37-year reign of King Gojong. The original address was 203-1 Eup-ri, Cheongpung-myeon, but it was moved to its current location in 1983 due to the construction of the Chungju Dam. It is a two-story building where the first floor is a huge chunk of soil and stone. The house contains three compartments at the front, and both sides were built on a soil block with an angled roof that has eight sides. Also, a wooden staircase is attached on the left side of the building for ascending to the second floor.

Geumbyeongheon (Chungcheongbuk-do Tangible Cultural Property No. 34)
Geumbyeongheon was previously used as a government office. Cheongpung was called Sayeori-hyeon during the three Kingdoms period of Korea, and later changed into Cheongpung-heon during the reign of King Gyeongduk of Silla. Under the reign of King Chungsuk of the Goryeo Kingdom, it became known as Jigunsa, and then later just Gun during the Joseon Dynasty under the reign of King Sejo. Hyeonjong of the Joseon Dynasty promoted it as a protectorate of the region, and later announced it as Gun again during the reign of King Gojong. In the year 1914, all administrative districts were merged into the Cheongpung-myeon system. Government official Oh Do-il started the construction of the building, and later, government official Lee Hui-jo reconstructed it in 1705 during King Sukjong’s 31-year reign. Park Pil-mun repaired the building, and Kwon Don-in made a framed picture for the building in 1726, the second year of King Yeonjo’s ruling.

Geumnamru Pavilion
(Chungcheongbuk-do Tangible Cultural Property No.20)
This place was the main gate of Cheongpung Government Office. The officer of the Cheongpung government, Cho Gil-won, named it Dohobujeoljeamun, and carved it into the stela hanging on the front of the gate during the reign of King Sunjo (1825). The office is a two-story attic containing three compartments at the front, and both sides were built on a stone foundation with an angled roof that has eight sides. Government official Hyeon In-bok started construction and later repaired it in 1956

Flower garden
- Gujeolcho, Halla Gujeolcho, Haeguk, Kalimeris, Broom chrysanthemum Flower road
- Bridal Wreath Tree Roads, White Azaleas Road, Wild Ryal Azaleas Road, Satsuki Azaleas Road, Azalea Road.

Cheongpung Husalli Old House
This was one of the private houses located in 105 Husan-li, Cheongpung-myeon, but it was later moved to its current location due to the construction of the Chungju Dam. The structure of the house resembles the Korean symbol “ㄱ”, facing east-south and having a daecheong, a cool wooden-floor style hall, on the center. On the right side of the daecheong, there are two small bedrooms. The toenmaru, a narrow wooden patio, is higher than average and has a fireplace underneath it. On the left side of the daecheong is the master bedroom. On the east side of the master bedroom, a special room is located to hold memorial rites for ancestors. It has a unique structure that is most commonly found in the central regions of Korea during the late Joseon Dynasty.


Cheongpung Dohwari Old House

This was a private house built in the late Joseon Dynasty. The house used to be located in Dohwa-ri, Cheongpung-myeon, but was later moved to its current location due to the construction of the Chungju Dam. The structure of the house resembles the Korean symbol “ㄷ”. In the center of the house is a daecheong, which consists of three compartments. A bedroom, kitchen, and storage room are located on its left side, and another two bed rooms and a kitchen consisting of two compartments are on its right side. The kitchen has signature features that are typically found in the private houses of the Taebaeksan Mountain Range, equipped with a round log chimney and a lattice window that is lit by torchlight. It is suspected that the house had an annex added to the front of the house.


Yeolliji
Yeolliji (연리지) and yeollimok trees are famous here. If two trees grow in close proximity for a long time, they grow together, which is called yeolli, meaning “inoculation” in Korean. These trees are often compared to the concept of affectionate love, and are widely known as a “love trees,” since the two trees become united into one. They are also called either yeolliji (when the branches are connected) or yeollimok (when the trunks are connected). The yeolliji is far rarer than the yeollimok because the branches scarcely ever face each other, and even if they did, it would be easily shaken by the wind, thus making it harder to draw close to each other. Legend has it that in ancient China, birds called biikjo were often likened to the yeolliji tree. Biikjo means “a pair of birds,” a male and female that cannot fly apart from each other, as each has only one eye and one wing. It’s only when they are together that they can fly. The poet named Baekgeoi compare this with the great love story of the age, the affair of the last Tang emperor in China and his beautiful concubine, Yang Guifei (Yang Kwei-fei). In his book “Janghanga,” the couple was described as a pair of biikjo in the sky and yeollimok on the earth.


Stone Standing Buddha (National Treasure No.546)
The Stone Standing Buddha has the height of 341cm, the sculptural form when viewed as a whole seems to be found in late into the Unified Silla (10th century). The peaceful face of Buddha was shaped with the chubby cheeks and compassionate gaze in his eyes. The statue has a deep and long philtrum between the nose and lips and both ears that cast down to the shoulders. ‘Samdo’ referring to the three training stages of Buddhist monks, was engraved in his neck and his left hand is pointing down to the ground. The Buddha is wearing underwear with the tonggyeon Buddhist traditional clothes covering the shoulders on the top of it, which has a V-shaped knot on his belly that rests down to the chair. After building Chungju Dam, its original location was flooded and moved to its current location in 1983 and was restored here. Cheongpung Paryeongnu Pavilion Tangible Cultural Property No. 35 (Designated on December 21, 1976) Paryeongnu Pavilion is a two-story gate that connects to the village of Cheongpung in the Joseon Dynasty. Below is in the form of a door and has a tower on its top. Min Chisang, the governor of the village at that time during the reign of Gojong (1863-1907), named the pavilion Paryeongnu, inspired by the poem that described the most spectacular eight sceneries of Cheongpung. The gate has 3 compartments on the front and 2 on each side as well as 8-sided roofs. The banisters surround the gate with walls and have a wooden floor inside. Apart from Paryeongnu Pavilion, Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Complex is filled with many cultural heritages such as Geumnamru, Eungcheonggak Pavilion and Geumbyeongheon.


Cheongpung Hwangseongni Old house
This house was originally a private housing in 164 hwangseok-li, Cheongpung-myeon and moved to its current location after the construction of Chungju Dam. The structure of the house consists of anchae, the main building located at the center and munganchae, the gate section. Anchae has the four compartments and two on the side with an eight-sided tiled roof on the top called giwa. Starting from west side of the house, a kitchen, master room and small bed room are stood in a row. The master room and the room next to the kitchen are facing toenmaru, a narrow wooden porch running along the outside of a room. Another toenmaru is placed at the end of sarangbang, the guest room.
Telephone
+82-43-641-5533
Operating Hours
March~October 09:00-18:00 / November~February 09:00-17:00
Parking Facilities
Available (Free)
Admission Fees
* Individual - Adults 3,000 won / Youths 2,000 won / Children 1,000 won
* Group (30 people and more) - Adults 2,500 won / Youths 1,500 won / Children 800 won

Free: Children (ages under 8) / Seniors (ages 65 and older) / People with disabilities along with one guardian / Men of national merits
Directions
- Board the bus to Jecheon at Dong Seoul Terminal (Departure 8 times a day (06:30-09:00), 2 hour ride)

- Board the bus to Cheongpung (No. 90) at Jecheon Bus Terminal or Jecheon Station (Departure every hour, 40 minute ride)
- 30 minute distance by taxi from Jecheon to Cheongpung



Quick Menu Quick Menu

Reservation