Imjingak (임진각), located 7 km from the Military Demarcation Line, is now at the forefront of tourism related to the Korean Conflict.
It was built in 1972 with the hope that someday unification would be possible. Three-storied Imjingak is surrounded by several Monuments, Unification Park and North Korea Center.
400 kinds of photos and documents showing the stark reality of North Korea are displayed in the North Korea Center of Unification Board. Outside Imjingak, there are 12 kinds of tanks and crafts on display that were used during the Korean Conflict.
Mangbaedan, which stands opposite of Imjingak, is famous for the place where people from North Korea visit and perform ancestral rites by bowing toward their hometown every New Years Day and Chuseok. The Bridge of the Freedom, South Koreans crossed when they came back to their mother country from North Korea, stands behind Mangbaedan.
In front of Imjingak is the Gyeongui Train Line which was destroyed during the Korean Conflict in 1950. It has been under construction since 2000. Every year many events for unification are held at Imjingak.
Imjingak is now one of the famous tourist spots for foreigners in Gyeonggi-do Province because it is possible to visit without going through any security check points.
- Tourists who want to tour Dorasan Observatory (도라산전망대) and the 3rd tunnel, have to have a passport and make a reservation in advance at the DMZ ticket box located in the Imjingak parking lot.
- Tourists can tour the 3rd tunnel, Dorasan Observatory, Mt. Dorasan and Unification Park by shuttle bus. Soldiers act as guides on this package tour. Only Korean speaking guides are available if you make your reservation here, so foreigners should contact a travel agency to arrange an English speaking guide in advance.
- Private cars and taxies are not permitted. Only designated shuttle buses can enter because it is located in the demilitarized zone.
|Open all year round (Gyeonggi Pyeonghwa Center closed on Mondays)|
|Gyeonggi Pyeonghwa Center 10:00 - 18:00|
|DMZ tour by Monorail 11,700 won / on Foot 8,700 won|
Imjingak Park (Restaurant, Snack bar), Souvenir Shop
DMC Station, Seoul Subway line 6 or Seoul Station, Seoul Subway line 1 &
4 >> Transfer to the Gyeongui Line >> Get off at Munsan Station >>
Get the tour train towards Dorasan Mt. >> Get off at Imjingang River
* Seoul Station, Seoul Subway line 1 & 4 or Gwanghwamun Station, Seoul Subway line 5 >> Take the red bus #9710 >> Get off at Munsan Bus Terminal >> Take the city bus #58 >> Get off at Imjingak
* Bus: From Munsan Intercity Bus Terminal, take city bus No. 94 bound for Imjingak (runs every 30 min / 10-15 min ride).
* Taxi: Takes 10 min from Munsan Intercity Bus Terminal.
* Subway: From Seoul Station, take the subway Gyeongui Line and get off at Munsan Station (runs 1 times an hour, 05:50-23:20). Take a train and get off at Imjingang Station (10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00). Walk 600m.