|Wolchulsan National Park (월출산국립공원)|
|VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.|
|Mt. Wolchulsan National Park is located in the southern part of Korea. The name Wolchulsan appropriately denotes "mountain where the moon rises". Starting with the Cheonhwangbong Peak (809m) at the center, the whole area is filled with rocky mountain peaks which all look special and unique.
Walk for about 20 minutes past the National Park's parking lot and Dogapsa Temple, and the entrance to Weolchulsan comes in to view. About 5km beyond the gate, you can see Gujeolbong Peak, shaped like nine large pots. Because this place always has water, it is said that a dragon used to live here. Another 500m further down you can see Maaeyeoraejwasang, the sitting Buddha statue, which is designated as National Treasure No. 144. Just beyond the statue a path leading to the top is filled with lush green forests.
When you get to the top of Mt. Wolchulsan, there is a large flat granite rock that can fit up to 300 people. Staring down from here gives you a great view of Mt. Wolchulsan. Climbing down from the top, you can cross the arched bridge, 120m from the ground, 52m long, and 6m wide. It takes a bit of courage to walk across this bridge. To the left of Sajabong Peak, around the middle of the mountain, there is a waterfall pouring down into the valley as seven separate falls on top of each other, called Chilchi Waterfall.
On the way down to Dogapsa and Muwisa Temples, there is a field of reeds by the road that becomes spectacularly beautiful during fall. The sunset in the west is also beautiful beyond description. In the spring, the azaleas, in the summer the cool waterfalls, in the fall, all kinds of lovely colors, and in the winter, the snow covered mountains and valleys – Wolchulsan National Park is truly a wonderful site to visit all year around.
|Wolchulsan National Park Office|
|Mountain Not Access Period|
|Seasonal Forest Fire Watches by Park: January 29 - June 8, 2014
※TBD by park directors based on fire weather advisories, snow/precipitation levels, and other local conditions.
|Restricted Mountain Areas|
|* Cheonhwangsa Temple 천황사 ~ Dogapsa Temple 도갑사: 8.60km
* Cheonhwangsa Temple 천황사 ~ Tongcheonmun Samgeori (Three-way Intersection) 통천문삼거리: 2.60km
* Sanseongdae Entrance 산성대입구 ~ Sanseongchi 산성치: 1.6km
* Geumneunggyeongpodae 금릉경포대 ~ Baramjae 바람재: 2.20km
* Gyeongpodae Samgeori (Three-way Intersection) 경포대삼거리 ~ Jongjuneungseon 종주능선: 1.50km
* Cheonhwang Parking Lot 천왕주차장 ~ Tapdong Mineral Spring 탑동약수터: 0.927km
* Gujeongbong Peak 구정봉 ~ Yongamsaji Temple Site (Maaebul Buddha) 용암사지 (마애불): 0.7km
* Jukjeong 죽정 ~ Woldaeam 월대암: 0.6km
* Hachi Village 하치마을 ~ Nuritjae 누릿재 ~ Lion (Saja) Lake 사자저수지: 1.60km
|Areas Open to the Public|
|* Cheonhwangsa Temple 천황사 ~ Dogapsa Temple 도갑사
* Cheonhwangsa Temple 천황사 ~ Tongcheonmun Samgeori(Three-way Intersection) 통천문삼거리
* Sanseongdae Entrance 산성대입구 ~ Sanseongchi 산성치
* Geumneunggyeongpodae 금릉경포대 ~ Baramjae 바람재
* Gyeongpodae Samgeori(Three-way Intersection) 경포대삼거리 ~ Jongjuneungseon 종주능선
* Gujeongbong Peak 구정봉 ~ Yongamsaji Temple Site (Maaebul Buddha) 용암사지 (마애불)
* Jukjeong 죽정 ~ Woldaeam 월대암
|Natural Preservation Areas (closed to public)|
|* Janggunbong Peak: until 2026
* Dongwon Farm Miwangjae: until 2026
* Muuisa Temple~Miwangjae: until 2011
|Night-time Hike Restriction Notice|
|To prevent fires and ensure the safety of hikers, hiking has been prohibited at night. (between sunset and two hours before sunrise)|
|* Baram Waterfall (Mountain Ridge Trail)
* Gureumdari Bridge (Mountain Ridge Trail)
* Dogap District~Gyeongpodae District
* Gyeongpodae Round-Trip Course
|[S] 2,000 won / [M] 4,000-5,000 won / [L] 6,000-7,500 won
※ Regular shuttle buses are free (Not including monthly parking leasers)
|Facility Utilization Fees|
|Please refer to the Homepage.|
|National Park Offices / Ranger Stations: Wolchulsan National Park Office, Dogap Ranger Station
Information Centers: Cheonhwang Information Center, Gyeongpodae Information Center
Campsite: Cheonhwangsa Campsite, Gyeongpodae Campsite
Central City Terminal (Express Bus Terminal Station, Subway Line 3,7,9).
Take an intercity bus to Mokpo.
From Mokpo Intercity bus Terminal, take a local bus to Yeongam.
From Yeongam Terminal, take a local bus or a taxi to Cheonhwangsa Temple.
(Bus schedule: runs 5 times a day/ travel time: 10-15min)