goto content

  • sitemap
  • sign up
  • my page
  • visitkorea on Facebook
  • visitkorea on Twitter
  • visitkorea on YouTube
  • visitkorea on RSS


Korea Banner (Left)


Seoul » Jongno-gu » Gyeonggyojang House in Seoul (서울 경교장)

print

Gyeonggyojang House in Seoul (서울 경교장)   
Gyeonggyojang House ...
Gyeonggyojang House ...
prev  
  • Gyeonggyojang House ...
  • Gyeonggyojang House in Seoul (서울 경교장)
  • Gyeonggyojang House in Seoul (서울 경교장)
  • Gyeonggyojang House in Seoul (서울 경교장)
  • Gyeonggyojang House in Seoul (서울 경교장)
next
view pictures
Address
29, Saemunan-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul
서울특별시 종로구 새문안로 29 (평동)
Type
Monuments
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-2-2133-2640
Homepage
www.kyungkyojang.or.kr
(Korean only)
www.cha.go.kr
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.
Introduction

Gyeonggyojang House is located in Pyeong-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul. It is regarded as a historic site, and used to be an office and place of residence until Baekbeom Kim Koo, a leading figure during the Korean provisional government, was assassinated on June 26, 1949. He had previously returned from China in November, 1945. The house is one of three locations where activities critical to the foundation of a democratic government took place, prior to the government’s establishment (the other two are Lee Seungman's Ihwajang House and Kim Gyusik's Samcheongjang House).

Choe Changhak, who gained money from a gold mine, built the Japanese-style Gyeonggyojang House covering a ground area of 5,237 ㎡ (1,584 pyeong) and a total floor area of 876 ㎡ (265 pyeong) from Basement Level 1 to Ground Floor 2 in 1938. Choe Changhak offered the house to Kim Koo as a place of residence at the time of Korean Independence on August 15. Its original name was Jukcheomjang, a Japanese name, and Kim Koo changed it to its current name, which derives from a nearby bridge. The Gyeonggyojang House has been owned by Kangbuk Samsung Medical Center (Formerly Goryeo Hospital) since 1968.

Current Status
Historic Site No. 465 (Designated on June 13, 2005)
Closed
Every Mondays
Operating Hours
09:00-18:00 (*Last admission is 30 minutes before closing)
Parking Facilities
Use the parking lot of the hospital
Admission Fees
Free
Restrooms
Available
Facilities for the Handicapped
Restroom
Korean Info. Service
Available
Interpretation Services Offered
Not available
Directions
Seodaemun Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 4.
Walk straight for 270m and take a left at the site of Donuimun Gate.
The destination will be located on your left.

Related Tour Packages

Data not found



Quick Menu Quick Menu

Reservation