|Jukgyegugok Valley (죽계구곡)|
|VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.|
Jukgyegugok Valley is the valley stretching from Baejeom-ri to Choamsa Temple.
Joseon-era Confucian scholar Toegye Yi Hwang (1501-1570) was inspired by the
scenery of the valley and the enchanting sound of the flowing water, so he came
up with names for each of the nine sections of the valley and collectively called
them Jukgyegugok (nine bamboo valleys). The valley presents a splendid sight
indeed with crystal clear waters, lush forest, and white rocks. In summer, vacationers
from around the country flock to Jukgyegugok Valley to cool off from the sweltering
heat by dipping their feet in the refreshing waters of the valley. Famous tourist
attractions near the valley include Sosuseowon Confucian Academy, Buseoksa Temple,
and Eupnaeri Mural Tomb.
On the path that ascends from Jukgyegugok Valley, there is a small temple located at the foot of Sobaeksan Mountain. The great monk Uisang Daesa of the Silla Kingdom reached this place during his search for an ideal site to build a Buddhist temple invoking national security. He set up a small thatched hut for a temporary stay until he found the most propitious spot, on which he built Buseoksa Temple. In the site where his thatched hut once stood, he built another temple and named it Choamsa Temple. The original structure was destroyed by fire during the Korean War (1950-1953). The temple has been restored to its present state by the Buddhist monk Lee Bo-won after years of arduous efforts.