|Wibongsanseong County Park (위봉산성군립공원)|
|VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.|
|This fortress was completed in 1675, the first year of the reign of King Sukjong (1674-1720) of the Joseon Kingdom. It was intended that in time of war or other emergency, the portrait of King Taejo enshrined in Gyeonggijeon Hall and the spirit tablet of the Yi Clan founder, kept at Jogyeongmyo Shrine, both in Jeonju, would be brought to the fortress for safekeeping. In fact, they were brought to the safety of the fortress when Jeonju was occupied by the Donghak peasant army in 1894.
The original wall was 4m to 5m high, 3m wide and 16km long and had three main gates (East, West, and North) and eight smaller ones. Of the three covered gates of the fortress, only the stone archway of the west gate remains together with part of the stone wall.
Inside the fortress are Wibongsa Temple and Wibong Falls, one of the 8 Beauties of Jeonju.
|Wibongsanseong Fortress: Historic Site No. 471 (designated on April 6, 2006)|
|N/A (Open all year round)|
1: Wibongsanseong Fortress, West Gate Site (위봉산성서문지) → Doesilbong Peak
(되실봉) → Dulle-gil Road halfway point (둘레길 반환점) → Debris Barrier (사방댐,
Sabangdaem) → Oseongjae (오성재)
▲ Course 2: Wibongsanseong Fortress, West Gate Site (위봉산성서문지) → Doesilbong Peak (되실봉) → Seoraebong Peak (서래봉) → Odojae (오도재)
▲ Course 3: Wibongsanseong Fortress, West Gate Site (위봉산성서문지) → Doesilbong Peak (되실봉) → Seoraebong Peak (서래봉) → Odojae (오도재) → Seobangsan Mt. (서방산) → Jongnamsan Mt. (종남산) → Songgwangsa Temple (송광사)
|From Jeonju, take Local Bus 806 and get off at Wibong Village (위봉마을) .
Or, take Bus 814 or 838 and get off at Songgwangsa Temple (송광사) or Oseong-ri (오성리).