|Goryeogung Palace Site (고려궁지)|
|Goryeogung Palace Site on Ganghwado Island is the site of the royal palace where the people of the
Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) resisted the Mongolian invasion for 39 years. In June 1232, King Gojong moved his capital to Ganghwa on account of its
natural and strategic advantages. The construction of the government office and the royal palace in Ganghwa was completed in 1234. Ganghwado Island holds historical significance as the place where metal type was developed and where
the Palman Daejanggyeong (the Tripitaka Koreana printing woodblocks) were made during the Goryeo dynasty. Upon the conclusion of the peace treaty with Mongolian forces in May 1270, the capital was moved back to Gaeseong (present-day Gaeseong in North Korea), and the royal palace in Ganghwa was subsequently destroyed.
In the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1897), Haenggung (the king’s temporary palace) was constructed on the same site as the Goreyo palace. During the Byeongjahoran (Chinese invasion of Korea) in 1637, the palace was conquered by the force of Ching dynasty of China. Afterward, Ganghwa Yusubu (Ganghwa governor’s office) buildings were built on the palace site. Nowadays, the only structures that remain are the Dongheon main office (built in 1638) and Ibangcheong administration office (built in 1654). The palace and its subsidiary buildings were restored in 1977.
|Historical Site No.133 (as of June 10, 1964)|
|N/A (Open all year round)|
March-April, September-October: 09:00-18:00
Adults: 900 won / Youth: 600 won
Adults: 700 won / Youth 500 won
|Interpretation Services Offered|
| From Seoul to Ganghwa
1) Sinchon Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 4.
Go straight 260m to arrive at the bus stop in front of Artreon.
From the bus stop, take Bus 3000 to Ganghwa Bus Terminal.
2) Yeongdeungpo Station (Seoul Subway Line 1).
Across from Shinsegae Department Store, take Bus 88 to Ganghwa Terminal.
From Ganghwa Bus Terminal, take a taxi to Goryeogung Palace Site. (10min)