|Uirimji Reservoir (제천 의림지와 제림)|
|VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.|
|Uirimji (originally called “Yimji”) is a reservoir that was created during the Samhan Era hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Due to its deep-seated history it is one of the most famous reservoirs in Chungcheong-do (also known as the ‘Hoseo Region’) and was designated Monument No. 11 of Chungcheongbuk-do.
The reservoir is 1.8km in circumference and 151,470m2 in water surface area and has a water level of 8-13m. It supplies water to around 289.4 jeongbos (unit) of farmland and was one of the 3 major reservoirs of the Samhan Era along with Byeokgolje of Gimje and Susanje of Miryang. With a water gate built of onggi (earthenware), Uirimji is also a valuable historical site for studying farming methods from long ago.
The reservoir and is one of the main tourist attractions of the Jecheon region. In the area around the reservoir are the Yeonghojeong Pavilion (erected in 1807 in the 7th year of King Sunjo) and the Gyeonghoru Pavilion (built in 1948). The traditional beauty of the structures is accented by the neighboring ancient pine and willow trees and the 30 meter-high waterfall. Nearby attractions include the Pine Field Park, National Archery Field, and Parkland.
Among the local specialties of the region are Gongeo fish (a.k.a. Bingeo) which can only be seen during the spawning season that takes place during the spring thaw. Enjoyed only for a small time window each year, the fish is largely popular among tourists visiting the area.
|Yungdusan Mountain (871m) courses: 1hr, 30min-4hr
Kkajisan Mountain (473m) course: 1hr-2hr
Muranigol forest path
|From Jecheon Station, take Bus 541, 3-2, or 3-1 to Uirimji (의림지).|