|Hongdae (Hongik University Street) (홍대)|
|Hongdae-ap (the area in front of Hongik University) is a neighborhood known for its youthful and romantic ambience, underground cultures, and freedom of self-expression. Unique cafes, cozy galleries, accessory stores, fashion shops, live cafés and clubs, art markets, and gourmet eateries make this a popular hang-out for locals in their 20s and 30s and a fascinating place to walk around.
Also in this same area is the ‘A ballerina who loves b-boy’ theater and other theaters dedicated to the art of b-boy dance. Another big draw of Hongdae is the weekend ‘Free market,’ (1pm to 6m) where artists gather each week to display and sell their handmade crafts and accessories. During the market time there are usually a variety of open-air concerts and events as well.
These unique place plus the cultural events, street performances, and festivals held here make Hongdae-ap an area that is always packed with people and excitement. Special streets such as ateliers’ street (with full of private institutions for art students preparing for university entrance exams), Picasso’s Street, and Club Street are also must-go places if you’re hoping to fully experience the Hongdae area.
* Schedule: Every Saturday (March-November), 13:00-18:00
* Venue: Hongik Children's Park
* Programs: Handicrafts exhibitions and sales, indie music/mimes/performances, art workshops, street portraits & caricatures
* Homepage: www.freemarket.or.kr (Korean)
* Inquiries: +82-2-325-8553
* Schedule: Last Friday of each month, 20:00-06:00
* Venue: M2, Via, Jokerred, Tool, NB, Q-VO, DD, Saab, Hooper, Ska, O.R, Myeongwolgwan, Evans, FF, WATERCOCK, Freebird, Soundholic, DGBD, Hole, Liveclub Ssam, Spot (Total of 21 clubs in the area)
* Admission fees: 20,000 won (1 ticket for entry into multiple clubs + 1 free drink)
* Inquiries: +82-2-333-3910
Hongik University Station (Seoul Subway Line 2 or Airport Railroad).