Winter is approaching, and with it comes snow and ice! Korea's winter offers plenty of activities and opportunities to indulge in winter fun, namely ice skating and sledding! Ice skating and sledding are the most affordable and easily accessible winter leisure activities loved by people of all ages. The winter cold will be a distant memory as you zoom down snowy hilltops or glide gracefully across the ice. So brace the cold this winter and visit an ice skating rink or a sledding park to make some unforgettable winter memories in Korea!
Seoul Plaza Skating Rink
Filled with enthusiastic atmosphere and nestled among the tall skyscrapers, Seoul Plaza Skating Rink offers an opportunity to experience what it is like to skate within the city. The skating rink opens at 10 a.m., with ice resurfacing schedule every hour for 30 min. Tickets are sold on-site and covers admission as well as skating equipment rental, including ice skates, helmets, and knee pads. Not only is the admission fee affordable, Seoul Plaza Skating Rink is also one of the most convenient skating rinks found in Seoul due to its location at the center of the city, easily accessible via public transportation. It also has several attractions nearby, including Deoksugung Palace and Insa-dong.
- ☞ Address: 110, Sejong-daero, Jung-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 중구 세종대로 110 서울특별시청 광장 북측)
- ☞ Period: December 21, 2018 - February 10, 2019
- ☞ Operating hours: Sunday-Thursday: 10:00-21:30 / Friday, Saturdays & Public holidays: 10:00-23:00
* Closed during heavy snowfall or severe polluted air
- ☞ Fees: 1,000 per hour (Skate rental included)
* Gloves required (Purchasable on site)
- ☞ Website: www.seoulskate.or.kr (Korean, English)
- ☞ Nearby attractions: Gwanghwamun Square, Cheonggyecheon Stream & Cheonggye Plaza, Insa-dong, Deoksugung Palace, and more
Lotte World’s Indoor Ice Skating Rink
An indoor ice rink is located on the 3rd basement floor of Lotte World, one of the major amusement parks in Korea. The giant glass ceiling lets in natural sunlight, providing a refreshing atmosphere. At night, moving laser lights will make the ice rink come alive with a festive ambience. Around the ice rink are family restaurants and cafés where you can enjoy a nice cup of coffee or a pleasant dinner while enjoying the view of the rink.
- ☞ Address: 240, Olympic-ro, Songpa-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 송파구 올림픽로 240 롯데월드 아이스링크)
- ☞ Directions: Jamsil Station (Seoul Subway Line 2, 8), Exit 4. Walk approx. 5 min.
- ☞ Period: Open all year round (Subject to change in case of group reservations or special events)
- ☞ Operating hours: Sunday-Friday 10:00-21:30 / Saturdays 10:00-22:30
- * Admission covers 3 hours, including ice resurfacing maintenance time.
* Opening hours are subject to change in the case of private lessons. Check for updates online before visiting.
- ☞ Fees: Adults & Teenagers 16,000 won / Children 15,000 won (including admission, skates and helmet rentals)
* Admission of children of age 6 and under are not allowed due to safety reasons.
- ☞ Website: www.lotteworld.com (Korean only)
☞ Nearby Attractions: Olympic Park, Children’s Grand Park, Songpa Naru Park (Seokchonhosu Lake), Lotte World Tower & Lotte World Mall, and more
Snow Buster at Everland
Everland’s Snow Buster, located in Yongin, Gyeonggi-do, has a wide variety of high-speed sledding runs. There are three slopes according to difficulty: Jungfrau, Eiger, and Monch Kid's Sledge. Eiger, in particular, offers twice the exhilaration with its 200-meter curved slope. Eiger, as well as Jungfrau, is designed with individual lanes, guaranteeing barrier-free slide down at full speed.
The lift tows riders back to the top of the run, giving a relaxing ride to the top of the hill while they sit comfortably on their tube sleds. Heaters are placed around the area for riders to warm up when needed. As the Everland one-day ticket covers admission and attractions, including Snow Buster, you may also want to enjoy the other exciting attractions at the amusement park after enjoying your sled ride.
- ☞ Address: 199, Everland-ro, Pogok-eup, Cheoin-gu, Yongin-si, Gyeonggi-do (경기도 용인시 처인구 포곡읍 에버랜드로 199 애버랜드)
- ☞ Directions: Everland Station (Yongin Ever Line), Exit 3. Take a shuttle bus at the platform in Parking Lot no. 5.
- ☞ Period: December 14, 2018 - 2019 (undecided; varies by course) / Check in advance before visiting
- ☞ Operating hours: 10:30-17:00 / Subject to change depending on weather forecasts and unforeseen circumstances
- ☞ Fees
- One-day ticket: Adults 54,000 won / Teenagers 46,000 won / Children 43,000 won
- Admission ticket: Adults 45,000 won / Teenagers 38,000 won / Children 35,000 won
* Height restrictions apply to children for safety reasons.
- ☞ Website: www.everland.com (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
- ☞ Nearby attractions: Caribbean Bay, Korean Folk Village, Yongin Recreational Forest
Seoulland’s Sledding Hills
Snow Sledding Hills at Seoulland, located within close proximity of Seoul in Gwacheon, Gyeonggi-do, provides an ultimate experience for a family winter outing. The park’s concept focuses on the popular children cartoon characters from “Larva,” adding more fun to the exciting slide downhill. Safety measure is taken by preparing separate slopes for adults and children.
At the playground adjacent to the slopes, you can enjoy other winter activities by making a snowman or engaging in a snowball fight. The playground also has a snow sledding area exclusively for toddlers and young children. The one-day pass for Seoulland covers admission and use of the sledding facilities, but the general admission ticket requires an additional 5,000 won (4,000 won for children) to use the facilities.
- ☞ Address: 181, Gwangmyeong-ro, Gwacheon-si, Gyeonggi-do (경기도 과천시 광명로 181 서울랜드)
- ☞ Directions: Seoul Grand Park Station (Seoul Subway Line 4), Exit 2. Walk approx. 15 min. to main entrance ticket booth.
- ☞ Period: December 15, 2018 - March 1, 2019 / Check in advance before visiting
- ☞ Operating hours: 10:00-17:00 / Subject to change depending on weather forecasts and unforeseen circumstances
- ☞ Fee
- One day pass: Adults 44,000 won / Teenagers 41,000 won / Children 38,000 won
- Day-time admission: Adults 25,000 won / Teenagers 22,000 won / Children 20,000 won
- ☞ Website: www.seoulland.co.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
- ☞ Nearby attractions: Seoul Race Park (Let's Run Park Seoul), National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Gwacheon [MMCA Gwacheon], Cheonggyesan Mountain
- Miscellaneous Skating Rinks and Sledding Hills
- ☞ Olympic Park Skating Rink
- Address: 424, Olympic-ro, Songpa-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 송파구 올림픽로 424 올림픽공원)
- Directions: Mongchontoseong Station (Seoul Subway Line 8), Exit 1. Walk approx. 5 min.
- Period: December 21, 2018 - February 6, 2019
- ☞ Sangam MBC Skating Rink
- Address: 267, Seongam-ro, Mapo-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 마포구 성암로 267 상암MBC)
- Directions: Digital Media City Station (Seoul Subway Line 6, Airport Railroad, Gyeongui-Jungang Line), Exit 9. Walk approx. 10 min.
- Period: December 21, 2018 - February 6, 2019
- ☞ Mokdong Ice Rink (Indoor)
- Address: 939, Anyangcheon-ro, Yangcheon-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 양천구 안양천로 939 목동아이스링크)
- Directions: Omokgyo Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 3. Walk approx. 15 min.
- Period: Open all year round (Closed the day of Seollal (Lunar New Year) and Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving))
- Operating hours: Weekdays 14:00-18:00 / Weekends & public holidays 12:00-18:00 (Operating hours change to 10:00-18:00 during school winter vacation period)
- ☞ Korea University Ice Skating Rink
- Address: 145, Anam-ro, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 성북구 안암로 145 고려대학교)
- Directions: Korea Univ. Station (Seoul Subway Line 6), Exit 3. From Korea Univ. Station Exit 3 Bus Stop, take Maeul Bus No. 20 to Korea University Ice Skating Rink Bus Stop.
- Period: Open all year round (Closed Seollal (Lunar New Year) and Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) holiday periods)
- Operating hours: Weekdays 15:00-17:00 / Weekends 14:00-18:00 (Operating hours change to 13:00-17:50 on Monday-Saturday and 14:00-17:50 on Sundays during elementary school winter vacation period)
- ☞ Grand Hyatt Seoul Ice Skating Rink
- Address: 322, Sowol-ro, Yongsan-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 용산구 소월로 322 그랜드하얏트서울)
- Directions: Hangangjin Station (Seoul Subway Line 6), Exit 2. From Hangangjin Station, Blue Square Bus Stop, take Bus No. 405 to Hyatt Hotel Bus Stop.
- Period: December 24, 2018 - January 18, 2019
- Operating hours: Weekdays 12:00-21:00 / Weekends, Public holidays 10:00-21:00
- ☞ Banyan Tree Club & Spa Seoul Ice Skating Rink
- Address: 60, Jangchungdan-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 중구 장충단로 60 반얀트리클럽앤스파)
- Directions: Dongguk Univ. Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 6. From Dongguk Univ. Station, Jangchungdong Bus Stop, take Namsan Circulation Bus No. 02, 03, or 05 to National Theater of Korea Bus Stop and walk approx. 4 min.
- Period: December 7, 2018 - February 24, 2019
- ☞ Ttukseom Hangang Park Sledding Hill
- Address: 139, Gangbyeonbuk-ro, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 광진구 강변북로 139 뚝섬 눈썰매장)
- Directions: Ttukseom Park Station (Seoul Subway Line 7), Exit 2. Walk approx. 5 min.
- Period: December 21, 2018 - February 17, 2019
- Operating hours: 09:00-17:00 (No sledding during snow maintenance hours 12:00-13:00)
- ☞ Korean Children’s Center Snow Sledding Field
- Address: 441, Gwangnaru-ro, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 광진구 광나루로 441 어린이회관눈썰매장)
- Directions: Children’s Grand Park Station (Seoul Subway Line 7), Exit 2. Walk approx. 10 min.
- Period: December 15, 2018 - February 24, 2019
- Operating hours: 10:00-17:00
- ☞ Korean Folk Village Sledding Hill
- Address: 90, Minsokchon-ro, Giheung-gu, Yongin-si, Gyeonggi-do (경기도 용인시 기흥구 민속촌로 90 한국민속촌)
- Directions: Sanggal Station (Seoul Subway Line 1), Exit 3. From Sanggal Station Bus Stop, take Bus No. 37 to Korean Folk Village Bus Stop.
- Period: December 22, 2018 - 2019 (undecided; varies by course)
- Operating hours: 10:00-17:00 (No sledding during snow maintenance hours 13:00-13:30)
- * Gloves are required to enter skating rinks.
- * Opening periods and operating hours are subject to change depending on weather forecasts and unforeseen circumstances.
- ☞ 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Malay)
* This column was last updated in October 2018, and therefore information may differ from what is presented here. We advise you to check details from the official websites before visiting.