Even though traveling on the Incheon Subway Line can be limited, it offers plenty of attractions to visit. You can enjoy a dreamlike tour of Incheon and explore the narrow alleyways of traditional markets just by taking this easily accessible public transportation. Discover Incheon with Incheon Subway Lines 1 and 2, as they have all the stops you need for a trip to remember.
Tip) What is Incheon Subway Line?
The Incheon subway system, operated by Incheon Transit Corporation, consists of Line 1 and Line 2. With most areas connected by these two lines, it’s easy to tour around Incheon by subway.
- Incheon Subway Line 1: Line that crosses Incheon from north to south. Main attractions include Songdo Central Park, Techno Park, Woninjae, Incheon Munhak Sports Complex, Gyeongin ARA Waterway and more.
- Incheon Subway Line 2: Line that goes from Geomdanoryu Station in Seo-gu to Unyeon Station in Namdong-gu. Main attractions include Moraenae Market, Incheon Grand Park, Geomdan Prehistory Museum and more.
Songdo Central Park
Songdo Central Park, a 1.8-kilometer seawater park, is situated among the skyscrapers of Songdo. The park is equipped a walking path and a bicycle path, where visitors can take in the view of sunlight sparkling across the seawater as they enjoy a day out in the park. The view becomes even more mesmerizing after nightfall as the buildings light up around the park.
Tip) Top 3 Attractions to visit at Songdo Central Park
1. Deer farm
- At the center of the park is a deer farm. Take a relaxing stroll along the farm and you’ll be surprised at the number of deer grazing on grass, considering the farm’s location in the middle of a city. The farm is within 10-minute walking distance from East Boat House, a recreational water sports center.
- Tribowl is a cultural space that offers various exhibitions, conferences and performances. This unique architecture looks like an upside-down mountain floating on a surface of the water. Strike a post in front of this futuristic building after sunset when the LED lights are lit as it’s considered one of the best photo spots within the park.
3. Water Sports
- Incheon has a river that crosses from east to west, where visitors can enjoy various water sports such as canoeing, kayaking, riding a family boat and more. Besides water sports, visitors can also enjoy a ride along the river on a water taxi. Visit East Boat House for water sports and West Boat House for water taxis. You’ll discover a different charm of the central park and the surrounding buildings as you take a boat ride down the river.
- Songdo Central Park
- ☞ Address: 196, Techno park-ro, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon (인천광역시 연수구 테크노파크로 196)
- ☞ Operating hours
- Central Park: Open 24 hr
- West Boat House (water taxi): Weekdays 10:00 -19:00 / Weekends 10:00-21:00
- East Boat House (water sports): 10:00 -18:00
* Water taxi departure: Every hour sharp on weekdays / Every 30 min sharp on weekends & holidays
* Hours vary by season and weather condition
* Water taxi route approx. 20 min
* Hours vary for Tribowl and other facilities
- ☞ Fees
- West Boat House: Water Taxi Adults 4,000 won / Children (ages 1 to elementary school student) 2,000 won
- East Boat House: Family boat 35,000 won / Transparent bottom boat 35,000 won / Party boat 40,000 won / Transparent bottom kayak 27,000 won / Kayak 27,000 won / Stand-up paddleboard 10,000 won
- ☞ Directions (Incheon Tourist Information Center): Walk for approx. 15 min from Central Park Station (Incheon Subway Line 1), Exit 3
* Visitors can also get off at Int’ Business District Station (Incheon Subway Line 1) and Incheon National Univ. Station (Incheon Subway Line 1)
- ☞ Inquiries
- Incheon Tourist Information Center (Songdo Central Park): +82-32-832-3031 (Korean only)
- West Boat House: +82-32-834-4609 (Korean only)
- East Boat House: +82-32-831-4609 (Korean only)
Located in the central area of Incheon in Guwol-dong, this traditional market was established in May 1982, when merchants started selling products on a sandy street using mere display stands. Moraenae Market first started as a wholesale market selling agricultural and fisheries products, then expanded to selling clothes, dishes, fisheries, and other diverse items. Due to the large traffic of customers compared to other traditional markets, Moraenae Market is known for keeping products up-to-date with fresh and trendy items. Most popular items include chamsutbul gim (laver cooked over charcoal grill), dak gangjeong (glazed fried chicken bites), tteokbokki (spicy rice cakes), gopchang (grilled pork small intestine) and more.
- Moraenae Market
- ☞ Address: 42-8, Hogupo-ro 810beon-gil, Namdong-gu, Incheon (인천광역시 남동구 호구포로810번길 42-8)
- ☞ Operating hours: 08:30-21:00
* Hours vary by store
- ☞ Directions: Walk for approx. 1 min from Moraenae Market Station (Incheon Subway Line 2), Exit 3
- ☞ Inquiries: +82-32-471-1427 (Korean only)
- ☞ Website: moraenae.sbfrog.gethompy.com (Korean, English, Japanese)
National Institute of Biological Resources
The National Institute of Biological Resources is the largest collection preservation facility in Asia with approximately 6,000 species on display (as of October, 2019). Unlike some museums, all the specimens on display were collected from roadkills or those that faced natural deaths. Some of the species that can only be seen at this facility include Korean rose bitterling, Korean hare and white forsythia. Last fox specimen found in Korea can also be seen on display. With various experience programs as well as special exhibitions, the institute is revisited multiple times by many visitors.
- National Institute of Biological Resources
- ☞ Address: 42, Hwangyeong-ro, Seo-gu, Incheon (인천광역시 서구 환경로 42)
- ☞ Operating hours: 09:30-17:30 / Closed Mondays, January 1, Seollal (Lunar New Year's day) & Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving Day) holidays
- ☞ Admission: Free
* Free English audio guide device rental available at the Information Desk
- ☞ Directions: Take a shuttle bus from Geomam Station (Incheon Subway Line 2)
* For detailed information about the shuttle bus, check the official website (Korean only)
- ☞ Inquiries: +82-32-590-7000 (Korean only)
- ☞ Website: www.nibr.go.kr (Korean, English)
Incheon Grand Park
A treasure in the middle of the city, Incheon Grand Park is an urban nature park that provides greenery and fresh air. As the only large-scale nature park in Incheon, the park holds an arboretum, children zoo, bicycle square, rose garden and more. Various animals and plants can be seen at the arboretum and the zoo, while those looking for peace and relaxation can walk around the Lake Garden listening to the calming sound of water flowing down the stair waterfall. The most popular course in the park, Forest of Healing, has a forest walking course that serves as the perfect activity for nature therapy.
Tips on touring Incheon Grand Park
Due to the park’s large size, visitors are recommended to rent a bike to get see everything the park has to offer. The bicycle rental shop is located approximately 10 minutes by foot from the entrance of the park and 20 minutes by the back gate near Incheon Grand Park Station. Located across from the Lake Square, the rental shop opens only from March to November and operates 10:00-18:00. The rental cost is 2,000 won per bicycle, 5,000 won for a tandem bicycle, and 10,000 won for multiple seated bicycles. Bike rental requires personal identification card on-site.
- Incheon Grand Park
- ☞ Address: 236, Munemi-ro, Namdong-gu, Incheon (인천광역시 남동구 무네미로 236)
- ☞ Operating hours
- March-October 05:00-23:00
- November-February 05:00-22:00
* Zoo, arboretum and Environment Future Hall within the park closed on Mondays
- ☞ Directions: Walk for approx. 2 min from Incheon Grand Park Station (Incheon Subway Line 2), Exit 3
- ☞ Main attractions: Arboretum, lake garden, sledding hill, Environment Future Hall, marsh ecology park, children's zoo, Forest of Healing
- ☞ Inquiries: +82-32-466-7282 (Korean only)
- ☞ Website:park.incheon.go.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
Gyeongin ARA Waterway
Gyeongin ARA Waterway connects Hangang River to the Yellow Sea with an observatory, artificial waterfall, Sculpture Park and other attractions along the way. It also has an 18.2-kilometer long bicycle path that follows the waterway where many visitors enjoy riding bicycles, while others are content by taking a relaxing stroll on the promenade. The most popular attractions include Aramaru Observatory, Sicheon Riverside and Arapokpo Falls. In particular, the Aramaru Observatory has a glass-bottom walkway that offers a thrilling view of the waterway.
- Gyeongin ARA Waterway
- ☞ Address (main attractions)
- Aramaru Observatory: 228, Ara-ro, Gyeyang-gu, Incheon (인천광역시 계양구 아라로 228)
- Arapokpo Falls: 26-12, Duksil-dong, Gyeyang-gu, Incheon (인천광역시 계양구 둑실동 26-12)
- Sicheon Riverside: 158-11, Sicheon-dong, Seo-gu, Incheon (인천광역시 서구 시천동 158-11)
- Suhyangwon: 305-49, Seonjuji-dong, Gyeyang-gu, Incheon (인천광역시 계양구 선주지동 305-49)
* Bicycle rental shop (5 locations): Sicheonnamnaru (Geomam Station), Gyeyangnamnaru (Gyulhyeon Station), Gyeyangbuknaru (Gyeyang Station), Ara Incheon Passenger Terminal, Ara Gimpo Passenger Terminal
- ☞ Operating hours: Open 24 hr
* Bicycle rental shop: Weekdays 11:00-18:00 / Weekends 10:30-18:30 / Closed Mondays
- ☞ Admission: Free
- Bicycle rental fee: Bicycle 5,000 won / Hybrid bicycle 6,000 won / Tandem bicycle 8,000 won / Helmet 1,000 won
- ☞ Directions (main attractions)
- Aramaru Observatory: Take a taxi for approx. 10 min from Geomam Station (Incheon Subway Line 2), Exit 3
- Arapokpo Falls: Take a taxi for approx. 10 min from Geomam Station (Incheon Subway Line 2), Exit 3
- Suhyangwon: Walk for approx. 15 min from Gyeyang Station (Incheon Subway Line 1), Exit 1
* Depending on the destination and route, getting off at Gyeyang Station (Incheon Subway Line 1) or Geomam Station (Incheon Subway Line 2) is possible
- ☞ Inquiries: +82-1899-3650 (Korean only)
- ☞ Website: http://www.giwaterway.kr (Korean only)
- ☞ 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Malay)
* This column was last updated in October 2019, and therefore information may differ from what is presented here. We advise you to check details before visiting.