In winter, when the days become shorter than the nights, a diversity of lighting festivals begins not only in Seoul but also near the metropolitan area. With LED lights, these lighting festivals create a fantastically bright, romantic atmosphere in the evening. Here are some great lighting festivals with fabulous decorations such as light tunnels and many more!
LED Rose Garden at Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP) in Seoul
The LED Rose Garden at Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP) has transformed an open space into a beautiful night garden. Popular among couples, this is also a great place for nightscape photography. When night falls, a total of 25,550 LED roses light up, with impressive skyscrapers serving as the backdrop. The display began on National Liberation Day in 2015 as a celebration of the nation’s 70th year of independence. The number of roses on display corresponds to the number of days since liberation: 365 days multiplied by 70 years is equivalent to 25,550 roses.
- ☞ Address: 281, Eulji-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 중구 을지로 281 동대문디자인플라자 잔디정원 일대)
- ☞ Directions: Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Station (Seoul Subway Line 2, 4, 5), Exit 1. Walk approx. 6 min.
- ☞ Operating period: Open all year round (No set end date)
- ☞ Lighting hours: 17:00-24:00 (Lighting subject to change depending on time of sunset)
- ☞ Website: www.ddp.or.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
Petite France in Gapyeong
Petite France is designed as a small French village in Korea, and it is also recognized as a top filming location for popular Korean dramas such as “My Love from the Star (2013)” and “Secret Garden (2011).” The lights used for the decorations were directly purchased from France, and the design of the Little Prince Lighting Festival was inspired from a small suburban city of Montpellier, located in southern France. The buildings painted in pastel tones harmonize with the lights strung throughout the village to create a fairytale atmosphere. Performances such as “Do Minjun's Supernatural Power Time,” “Marionette Dance Performance” and other exciting programs are available as well.
- ☞ Address: 1063, Hoban-ro, Cheongpyeong-myeon, Gapyeong-gun, Gyeonggi-do (경기도 가평군 청평면 호반로 1063 쁘띠프랑스)
- ☞ Directions: Gapyeong Station (Gyeongchun Line, ITX), approx. 30 min by taxi
※ Refer to Petite France website for operating schedule
- ☞ Event period: Early December-Late February
※ Official dates for 2018 not yet available
- ☞ Operating hours: 09:00-18:00
※ Lights will be on throughout event period
※ Closing time varies by season and weather
- ☞ Admission: Adults 10,000 won / Teenagers 8,000 won / Children (36 months-elementary school) 6,000 won
- ☞ Inquiries: +82-31-584-8400 (Korean, English)
- ☞ Website: www.pfcamp.com (Korean, English, Chinese)
Light Festival at Ansan Starlight Village Photo Land
The Ansan Starlight Village hosts a beautiful year-round lighting festival designed to match each season. The theme for winter is Animal & Heart Village which has over 200 animal displays and is popular with guests of all ages. The many areas to explore within the Ansan Starlight Village include White Road, Cupid Road, Rain Road, Propose Road, and Garden of Light. For an extra fee, visitors can enjoy the Mirror Maze as well. The colorful LED lights all throughout the park create a romantic atmosphere that is perfect for taking pictures with family and friends.
- ☞ Address: 1723, Suin-ro, Sangnok-gu, Ansan-si, Gyeonggi-do (경기도 안산시 상록구 수인로 1723 안산 별빛 마을 포토랜드)
- ☞ Directions: Jungang Station (Seoul Subway Line 4), approx. 9 min by taxi
- ☞ Operating period: Open all year round / Animal & Heart Village Light Festival ends January 31, 2019
- ☞ Operating hours: Weekdays 16:00-23:00 / Weekends & public holidays 15:00-24:00 (Last admission 30 minutes before closing)
※ Mirror Maze operating hours: Weekdays 16:00-22:45 (Last admission 22:30) / Saturdays & public holidays 15:00-23:30 (Last admission 23:15)
※ Lighting subject to change depending on time of sunset and weather
- ☞ Admission: Adults (Middle school & above) 7,000 won / Children (24 months-elementary school) & Senior citizens 5,000 won
※ Separate fee (4,000 won) applies to Mirror Maze
- ☞ Inquiries: +82-31-484-5050 (Korean only)
- ☞ Website: www.star1723.co.kr (Korean only)
Herb Island Light Festival in Pocheon
Pocheon Herb Island in Gyeonggi-do is a beautiful arboretum by day, but when the sun goes down, the garden transforms into a romantic space lit by colorful lights on every side. When the Herb Island Light Festival begins the countless LED lights brighten the garden in the theme of fairy tales. The attractions are endless, from the lovely pink wish tunnel to Santa’s Village, featuring Santa House and Santa Church. The photo spots throughout the park are why it is popular among couples.
- ☞ Address: 35, Cheongsin-ro 947beon-gil, Sinbuk-myeon, Pocheon-si, Gyeonggi-do (경기도 포천시 신북면 청신로 947번길 35 포천 허브아일랜드)
- ☞ Directions
- Soyosan Station (Seoul Subway Line 1), approx. 20 min by taxi
- City Hall Station (Seoul Subway Line 1, 2) / Sports Complex Station (Seoul Subway Line 2, 9), shuttle bus operation by Herb Island
※ Shuttle bus can be reserved online on the official website below
※ On weekdays, shuttle bus will only operate if reservations exceed 25 people
- ☞ Event period: Every year from November-April of the following year
- ☞ Operating hours
- Light and fairy tale story festival: 17:00-19:00
※ Lighting subject to change depending on time of sunset, please check prior to visiting
- Herb Island: Weekdays & Sundays 09:00-22:00 / Saturdays & public holidays 09:00-23:00
- ☞ Admission: Adults (Ages 17 and older) 6,000 won / Children (37 months-middle school) & Senior citizens 4,000 won / Babies (36 months and under) free
※ Identification with date of birth is required during ticket purchase
- ☞ Inquiries: +82-31-535-6494 (Korean only)
- ☞ Website: herbisland.co.kr (Korean, English, Chinese)
Lighting Festival at The Garden of Morning Calm in Gapyeong
The Garden of Morning Calm, nestled in the pristine nature of Chungnyeongsan Mountain, showcases the traditional beauty of a Korean garden. Every evening in winter, the arboretum glows with multi-colored lights in various themes throughout the gardens, including Korean Theme Garden, Morning Plaza, Road to Heaven, and Moonlight Garden. Visitors can see giraffes, deer, bears and other forest animals, as well as a starlight tunnel in the Hometown Garden. The bright lights that decorate the grassy plaza display a nightscape that will never be forgotten.
- ☞ Address: 432, Sumogwon-ro, Sang-myeon, Gapyeong-gun, Gyeonggi-do (경기도 가평군 상면 수목원로 432 아침고요수목원)
- ☞ Directions: Cheongpyeong Station (Gyeongchun Line, ITX), approx. 20 min by taxi
※ Shuttle bus from Cheongpyeong Station and Cheongpyeong Bus Terminal is also available. Please check the official website for more details.
- ☞ Event period: Early December-Late March
※ Official dates for 2018 not yet available
- ☞ Operating hours: Weekdays & Sundays 08:30-21:00 / Saturdays 08:30-23:00 / Open all year round
※ Lighting: 17:00-closing time
- ☞ Admission: Adults 9,500 won / Senior citizens 7,500 won / Teenagers 7,000 won / Children (36 month-elementary school) 6,000 won
- ☞ Inquiries: +82-1544-6703 (Korean only)
- ☞ Website: morningcalm.co.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
- ☞ Gapyeong City Tour: www.visitkorea.or.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Russian)
- ☞ 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Malay)
* This column was last updated in October 2018, and therefore information may differ from what is presented here. We advise you to check details from the official websites before visiting.