- 01.01.2018 ~ 12.31.2018 Finished
- 99, Sejong-daero, Jung-gu, Seoul
서울특별시 중구 세종대로 99 (정동)
- Daehanmun Gate at Deoksugung Palace
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-2-771-9951,
- Deoksugung Palace has held a guard-changing ceremony since 1996 after thorough historical research by leading historians. The ceremony, which is held in front of the Daehanmun Gate of Deoksugung Palace, is a tradition similar to the Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace and offers a rare opportunity to experience royal culture. The royal gate is opened and closed at pre-determined times, and the gatekeepers in charge of guard duty and patrols hold a shift ceremony three times a day.
Special Programs: The Royal Guard-Changing Ceremony is a highly recommended event for tourists. It is held three times a day (11:00 / 14:00 / 15:30) in front of Daehanmun Gate at Deoksugung Palace. As each ceremony follows the same procedure and lasts for thirty minutes, visitors can choose whichever time is most convenient. The ceremony is free of charge. There are no ceremonies on Mondays as well as on severely cold or hot days.
As the ceremony begins, the changing of the guards commences replete with traditional musical instruments, and exchanges a password for verification. An eight-minute guard ceremony ensues, followed by a seven-minute change ceremony, and finally a patrol that completes the ceremony. The procedure takes a dramatic turn when 18 guards in six official positions beat a drum and bellow some orders.
Major Highlights: The Royal Guard-Changing Ceremony is a great opportunity to experience a rare traditional scene. Be sure to bring a camera. The guards’ splendid costumes, with their brilliant primary colors, are a pleasure to view. While you cannot take pictures with the guards during the changing of guards, you can take a background picture of the guards and palace. You can also take photographs with the gatekeepers after the ceremony is over. Visit the palace and enjoy the beauty of Korean palaces following the ceremony.
- Performance Times
- 11:00-11:40 / 14:00-14:40 / 15:30-16:30
* No performance on Mondays
- Admission/Participation Fees
- Duration of Performance
- 30 minute
- Age Limit
- Open to visitors of all ages
City Hall Station
(Seoul Subway Line 1, 2), Exit 2.
- Go straight 100m to arrive at Daehanmun
Gate on the right.
- www.deoksugung.go.kr (Korean, English)
VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.