VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.
- 10.25.2017 ~ 10.29.2017
- 1, Moyangseong-ro, Gochang-gun, Jeollabuk-do
전라북도 고창군 고창읍 모양성로 1 (고창읍)
- Gochangeupseong Fortress
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-63-562-2999
- Gochang Moyang Fortress Festival has been held since 1973 to inspire patriotism to the ancestors who made great efforts in building the fortress, develop local culture, and encourage love and pride for Gochang residents. The event of Gochang Residents Day is called Gochang Moyang Fortress Festival.
The main events include Dapseongnori (stepping in the fortress) ceremony, pansori performance, farming music, folk game, arrow-throwing and other activities.
The main event of the Gochang Moyang Fortress Festival is the ‘Dapseongdori’, an event where you carry a rock on top of your head and walk around the fortress three times. This ceremony is attended by all the region’s citizens as it is said to cure all illnesses, grant you a long and healthy life, and allow you into heaven when you die.
The Moyang Fortress was built by the region’s citizens in order to block the 1453 invasion of Japanese forces. It is also called 'Gochang Eupseong'. The fortress played an important role as an outpost to protect the Honam area.
- [Main Events]
- Street Parade, Cultural Festival, Procession to a local governor’s new post, Experience military life during Joseon, Pansori, etc.
- Traditional Custom Experience, Throwing-Arrow Experience, etc.
- Traditional Folk Food Market
* Subject to change.
- Performance Times
- October 25-29, 2017
- Admission/Participation Fees
- Varies by program
- Age Limit
- All ages of visitors
- From Seoul Central City Bus Terminal, take an express bus to Gochang Terminal.
The festival venue is a 15min-walk from the Gochang Bus Terminal.