- * No ceremonies and performances on Tuesdays
- 01.01.2019 ~ 12.31.2019 Finished
- 161, Sajik-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul
서울특별시 종로구 사직로 161 (세종로)
- Gyeongbokgung Palace and Gwanghwamun area
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-2-3210-1645
- Sponsors / Management
- Korea Cultural Heritage Foundation /
- In ancient times, the royal guards of Joseon Dynasty performed the given task by guarding the Gwanghwamun Gate, the entrance of Gyeongbokgung Palace where the king ruled the country. Since 1469, the ceremony has taken place, with the present reenactment ceremony being based on historical records for authenticity.
The reenactment of the original ceremony began from 1996. The gate guardsmen serve their sentry, perform the changing of the guards, and hold a parade. The guards' uniforms, weapons, and accessories as well as their strict ceremonial procedures catch the eyes of passersby, especially foreign tourists. Since it is hard to experience traditional events in such a big city like Seoul, the change of the guards ceremony is a great opportunity. It takes place every day except Tuesday.
- Performance Times
- Sumunjang (Royal Guard) Changing Ceremony
10:00, 14:00 / 20 minutes per ceremony
Gwanghwamun Gate Guard-on-Duty Performance
11:00, 13:00 / 10 minutes per ceremony
Sumungun (Gatekeeper) Military Training (outside Hyeopsaengmun Gate)
09:35, 13:35 / 15 minutes per ceremony
* Please note that the schedule is subject to change.
* Event may be canceled in the case of rain.
- Duration of Performance
- Varies by performance
- Additional Events
- Sumungun (Gatekeeper) Costume Experience
(1) Venue: Sumunjangcheong Building
(2) Time: before and after the Guard Changing Ceremony and the Guard-on-Duty Performance (closed on Tuesdays)
(3) Inquiries: +82-2-3210-1645~6
※ Reservation required for the king or queen’s costume.
- Age Limit
- Open to visitors of all ages
Gyeongbokgung Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 5.
Gwanghwamun Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 2.
- www.chf.or.kr (Korean, English)
VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.