Destinations by Region

Korea University Korean Language Center (KLC) (고려대학교 한국어센터)

  • Korea University Korean Language Center (KLC) (고려대학교 한국어센터)
  • Korea University Korean Language Center (KLC) (고려대학교 한국어센터)
  • Korea University Korean Language Center (KLC) (고려대학교 한국어센터)
  • Korea University Korean Language Center (KLC) (고려대학교 한국어센터)
  • Korea University Korean Language Center (KLC) (고려대학교 한국어센터)

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.

145 Anam-ro, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
  • Information
    The Korea University Korean Language Center (KLC), under the support of the Institute of Foreign Language Studies, was established on March 1, 1986, to teach and promote Korean language and culture throughout the world. So far, over 60,000 foreign students and overseas Koreans wanting to learn the Korean language, history, and culture have taken advantage of the program, and at present, approximately 7,000 students enroll in the Korean Language and Cultural Studies Program annually. The KLC is equipped with cutting-edge language training multimedia labs, utilizes  leading teaching methodologies, and continues to strive to develop and implement the most effective language training to reinforce its leading role in teaching the fundamentals of the Korean language. The center strives to provide effective classes for students in a comfortable and enjoyable environment.

    * Regular Program
    - For students aged 15 and older, enrolled in high school or in a higher degree program (1-year program consisting of 4 terms: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter).
    - Each term lasts 10 weeks with 200 class hours.
    - There are 6 levels of proficiency and students are grouped according to their level of proficiency. Students successfully completing all 6 levels can attend a research class.

    * Special Intensive Course
    Summer School for Teenagers
    For Overseas Korean middle and high school students, and foreign nationals under 18 years of age.
    There are Korean language classes, Korean cultural experience programs, special evening classes, and more, all comprised of various activities.

    - Intensive Program (Summer, Winter semester)
    This program is for adult learners who wish to learn the Korean language and culture intensively in a short time period.

    * Special Teaching Certificate Programs
    - This is for students with a high school diploma or equivalent.

    * Customized Program


    To find more about the programs, visit the official website.

    Academic Calendar
    Send Application Form, Documents and Tuition >> Admission Letter Issued >> Visa Documents (inquire at local Korean embassy or consulate) >> Apply for visa >> Visa issued

    Minimum requirement: high school diploma or equivalent

    Required Documents
    1. 4 self portrait photos (3x4 cm)
    2. A copy of your passport
    3. Certificate of graduation or enrollment from last school attended (original required)
    4. Certificate of bank balance of at least $3,000 (a document to substantiate parent-child relationship if the bank balance is under a parent's name) or a letter of sponsorship (the sponsor must be at least 20 years old and a Korean employed and living in Korea. A copy of certificate of employment or business registration should be presented with the sponsorship letter)
    * Submitted documents will not be returned.
    * The documents to be submitted may vary depending on your nationality, so please check the details on the website or inquire via email.

    ① Download the guidelines and application form mailed from Korea University Korean Language Center (KLC) or found at its website.
    ② Fill out the required attached document to the KLC. After the screening has been completed, please make payment of the application fee and tuition fee.
    ③ Confirm your enrollment via e-mail or phone call.
    ④ Get your admission letter issued.
    * Prepare the certificate of bank statement that shows a balance of at least USD $3,000.

    ① Visit KLC office (Intl' Studies Hall 208, B-ho) with completed application form, required documents, application fee and tuition.
    ② Fill out registration form and make required payments.
    ③ Get your admission letter issued.


    (1) Application fee: 60,000 won (non-refundable)
    (2) Tuition fee:
        * Regular program
        - Morning Class: 1,630,000 won per term
        -Afternoon Class: 1,470,000 won per term
        - Advanced Research Class: 1,390,000 won per term
        * Intensive program
        - Summer 1st half: 1,362,000 won per term
        -Summer 2nd half: 1,152,000 won per term
        - Winter: 1,100,000 won per term
        * Special program for Japanese students
        - Spring: 950,000 won per term
        - Summer: 860,000 won per term
        * Summer school for teens: USD $3,103 (includes application fee)
    (3) Fees are adjusted every year in spring. Individuals who paid in advance must also pay the difference after the adjustments are made.

    ※ If conditions are met, tuition reduction is applicable. Check availability with KLCC.

    (1) Short-term visa (C-3)
    C-3 visas allow holders to stay for a period of only 3 months in Korea. Students planning to enroll in special short-term programs or only for 1 term should apply for the C-3 visa. For students who entered the country with a C-3 visa who wish to extend their study should submit the required documents and apply for an extension at Sejong-ro Korean Immigration Office by the Ministry of Justice of Korea to transfer to a D-4 visa status.
    * C-3 Documents
    ㅇSubmit to: Korean embassy or consulate office in your country of current residence.
    ㅇDocuments: Copy of admission letter, passport, 1 passport-style photo, other additional documents (varies depending on country)
    (2) Student visa (D-4)
    For any study extending beyond three months, students should apply for a D-4 visa. The D-4 visa is valid for 6 months and can be extended for up to 18 months. Required documents (such as admission letter, sponsorship letter, bank account statement) should be submitted to a local Korean embassy or consulate office. As it normally takes a month or so to process a D-4, it is strongly recommended to start the process at least 2 months prior to the start of their term.
    (3) Sponsorship letter
    Those wishing to apply for a D-4 visa require a notarized sponsorship letter. The sponsorship letter should be written by a Korean adult employed and living in Korea. Download the application form from the university website and visit a nearby notary office with the sponsor's seal and ID card.

    Registration Cancelation

    (1) Deferrals
    - After completing the application process and paying the student fees, a student can apply for a one-term deferral by submitting a written request, which must be received one week before the first day of class.
    - The deferral will be granted for one term only. If the student does not enroll in the next term, his or her application will be considered void and the tuition will not be refunded.
    (If a student fails to obtain a visa, students have to cancel their enrollment as they cannot postpone their enrollment.)

    (2) Withdrawals
    - A student can withdraw if there is a personal reason approved by the director of IFLS.
    - To withdraw formally from the program, a written request must be submitted.
    - The tuition will be refunded according to the refund policy.

    (3) Refunds
    - Application fee is not refundable.
    - One week before the first day of class, a 90% refund will be granted.
    - Within two weeks after the first day of class, a 70% refund will be granted.
    - After two weeks, no refunds will be granted.

    ※ Note
    - In cases where a student is denied a visa, a full refund will be granted only if the student submits all of the following documents: KLCC withdrawal application, admission letter, receipt for tuition payment, letter from the Korean Consulate General denying the visa.
    - In cases where a student is denied a visa, he/she should submit a withdrawal application at least one week prior to the start of the program in order to get a full refund.

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation