Destinations by Region

Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)

  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)
  • Jinjuseong Fortress (진주성)

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.

Address
626, Namgang-ro, Jinju-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
경상남도 진주시 남강로 626 (본성동)
Type
Palaces/ Fortresses/ Gates
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-55-749-2480~4
Homepage
www.jinju.go.kr
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
  • Information
    Introduction

    Jinjuseong Fortress, which is historically linked to the Japanese invasion in 1592, was originally named Geoyeolseong Fortress during the Three Kingdom Period, later renamed as Chokseokseong Fortress in the Goryeo Dynasty and finally settled as Jinjuseong Fortress in the Joseon Dynasty. The reinforced stonewall has a circumference of approximately 1,760m, 5m-8m in height and contains three wells and springs. According to Ha Ryun’s Seongmungi in Donggukyeojiseungnam Record, the castle had been frequently destroyed by the Japanese invasion and was later reinforced by Jinju’s minister, Kim Jung-gwang during the fifth year of Goryeo Woo King’s reign (1379). During this period, the circumference was 800 bo(pace), with Uijeongmun Gate to the east, Jijemun Gate to the north, and Yehwamun Gate to the south. Outside the castle, Cheongcheon River flows in the west and Namgang River in the south and a pond lies between the castle and the trench dug during the war times. As a fortress to safeguard from the Japanese attacks, it blocked the Japanese from advancing toward Honam during the 25th year of Joseon Seonjo King’s reign (1592). Within the temple lies Chokseoknu, Kim Shi-min Memorial, Uigisa Shrine, Seojangdae, Bukjangdae, Changyeolsa shrine, Jinju National Museum, Hoguksa Temple, and an outdoor stage.
     

    Telephone
    +82-55-749-2480~4

    Current Status
    Historic Site No.118

    Closed
    N/A (Open all year round)

    Operating Hours
    09:00-18:00

    Parking Facilities
    Available
    - Gongbukmun Parking (large-sized parking: 15 spaces / small-sized parking: 13 spaces)
    - Health Center Parking Lot (small-sized parking: 62 spaces)
    - Jinjuseong Fortress Tour Bus Parking Lot (tour bus parking: 14 spaces)

    Admission Fees
    Adults: 1,000 won / Group: 700 won
    Youths: 500 won / Group: 300 won
    Children: 300 won / Group: 200 won
    * Group: 30 or more people

    Pets
    1

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation