Destinations by Region

Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)

  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
  • Ullimsanbang House (진도 운림산방)
Address
315, Ullimsanbang-ro, Uisin-myeon, Jindo-gun, Jeollanam-do
전라남도 진도군 의신면 운림산방로 315 (의신면)
Type
Old Houses/ Birth houses/Folk Villages
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-61-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-61-540-3560, +82-61-543-0088
Homepage
eng.jindo.go.kr
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
  • Information
    Introduction
    On the foot of Cheomchalsan Mountain (485m), bordering Ssangyesa Temple to the North, sits Ullimsanbang House. The building was once a home to the famous artist, Heo Yu during his last years, after his master Kim Jeong-hee (1789~1856), a noted scholar, passed away.
    Ullimsanbang House was named after the romantic scenery of the mountain peaks nearby the Cheomchalsan Maountain that appears hazily amidst the foggy mist. According to Heo Yu’s writings, ‘Mongyeonrok’ once had various flowers and trees blossomed, but it had long been abandoned beyond recognition until it was restored by his grandson, Heo Geon (1907~1987) in 1982.
    Surrounding the Cheomchalsan Mountain, Ullimsanbang House has a C-shaped tile-roofed house containing a workroom among numerous bedrooms. It houses a wooden cottage at the rear and the So-Chi (Heo Geon’s pen name) Memorial to the right. Many of Heo family’s artworks are displayed here. At the middle of the courtyard, a crape myrtle stands gracefully on a small six-meter island floating on a pond of lilies.

    *Ullimsanbang House was one of the filming locations for the movie "Scandal(2003)." The scene where the three main actors were on a boat ride was shot here.

    Current Status
    Local Monument No. 51 (October 29, 1981)

    Closed
    Mondays

    Operating Hours
    Spring & Fall 09:00-17:00
    Summer 09:00-17:00
    Winter 09:00-16:30
    ※ Last admission is 30 min before closing.

    Parking Facilities
    Available (free)

    Admission Fees
    Adults (19-64) 2,000 won  / Group 1,500 won
    Teenagers (13-18) 1,000 won / Group 700 won
    Children (7-12) 800 won / Group 500 won
    * Group: 30 or more people
    * Senior citizens (age 65 & older) and infants eligible for free admission with ID.

    Restrooms
    Available

    Facility Utilization Fees
    So-chi Memorial Hall, Art Room, Jindo History Exhibition Hall, accommodations, etc.
    * No food allowed inside the building.

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.