Destinations by Region

Dokdo Island (독도)

  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)
  • Dokdo Island (독도)

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.

Address
1~96, Dokdo-ri, Ulleung-eup, Ulleung-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
경상북도 울릉군 울릉읍 독도리 1~96
Type
Seasides/ Beaches/ Islands
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (English, Korean, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: Dokdo Control Office +82-54-790-6645, 6646
Homepage
www.dokdo.go.kr
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
  • Information
    Introduction
    Located 87.4km away from Ulleungdo Island, and formed entirely from volcanic rock, Dokdo is an isolated island off the east coast of Korea bearing a latitude of 37°14' north and a longitude of 131°52' east. Collectively, both Ulleungdo Island and Dokdo once belonged to a country named Usanguk. According to geographical records, Usanguk became part of the Silla Kingdom (57B.C. ~ 935 A.D.) in June of the 13th year that King Jijeung ruled Silla. Isabu (a general and politician of Silla) gained significant strength during this period to overtake Usanguk.

    In the Seongjong Memoir of the Joseon Dynasty, there are passages by Kim Jaju describing Dokdo, which was referred to as Sambongdo at the time. Dokdo was initially called 'Sambongdo', 'Gajido' or 'Usando', but the name was later changed to Dokdo in 1881. The name 'Dokdo' was first used in 1906 by the Headman of Ulleung County Sim Heungtaek. In 1914, Dokdo officially became an administrative district of the Gyeongsangbuk-do.

    After The Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592, Japanese fishermen often came near Ulleungdo and Dokdo. Sukjong Sillok, the Annals of King Suk Jong (1674-1720), records that An Yong-bok went to Japan twice in order to protest against Japanese nationals trespassing into Korean territory. He asked the Japanese authorities to recognize Korea's sovereignty over these islands and to forbid Japanese nationals to sail to Dokdo.

    Dokdo is comprised of two main islands: Dongdo, or East Island which sits 98m above sea level, and Seodo, or West Island, which sits 168m above sea level, together with 36 smaller rock formations. Seperating Dongdo and Seodo is the Hyeongjegul Cave, together with Cheonsanggul Cave on Dongdo. Over time, other caves and topographic features of the island formed due to weathering and erosion.

    Japan acknowledged the value of Dokdo after the Russo-Japanese War of 1905. Japan unilaterally transferred Dokdo to Shimane Prefecture, Japan and renamed it "Dakesima". Several authorities in Japan have continuously declared their dominion, over the island, which led to diplomatic conflicts between Korea and Japan. Such conflicts have yet to be resolved.

    Presently there are security guards on Dokdo that protect several houses that were built onto the rocks as well as a small harbor. For more information on traveling Dokdo, click here!

    Telephone
    +82-54-790-6645, 6646

    Current Status
    Natural Monument No.336

    Tour Course Information
    As there are no special tour programs, visitors only have 20 minutes for sightseeing once they land on the wharf of Dongdo. Since the entire island is designated as a Natural Preservation Zone, the key to sightseeing is the enjoyment of the natural beauty of Dokdo. You can see Seodo from the wharf or take a stroll to view uniquely shaped rocks and gulls.

    Reservation Info. for Foreigners
    - The ferry schedule can change on a daily basis due to weather and other conditions, so visitors are advised to check the ferry schedule in advance before making reservations. Those with a reservation must also confirm the schedule as it is subject to frequent changes.
    - For translation assistance, call Tourist Information Phone (+82-2-1330) or contact the nation-wide Tourist Information Center.

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation