Destinations by Region

Goryeogung Palace Site (고려궁지)

  • Goryeogung Palace Site (고려궁지)
  • Goryeogung Palace Site (고려궁지)
  • Goryeogung Palace Site (고려궁지)

VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.

Address
42, Bungmun-gil, Ganghwa-eup, Ganghwa-gun, Incheon
인천광역시 강화군 강화읍 북문길 42 (강화읍)
Type
Monuments/ Historical Sites
Inquiries
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-32-930-7078~9 (Korean only)
Homepage
http://www.ghss.or.kr (Korean only)
  • Information
    Introduction
    Goryeogung Palace Site on Ganghwado Island is the site of the royal palace where the people of the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) resisted the Mongolian invasion for 39 years. In June 1232, King Gojong moved his capital to Ganghwa on account of its natural and strategic advantages. The construction of the government office and the royal palace in Ganghwa was completed in 1234. Ganghwado Island holds historical significance as the place where metal type was developed and where the Palman Daejanggyeong (the Tripitaka Koreana printing woodblocks) were made during the Goryeo dynasty. Upon the conclusion of the peace treaty with Mongolian forces in May 1270, the capital was moved back to Gaeseong (present-day Gaeseong in North Korea), and the royal palace in Ganghwa was subsequently destroyed.

    In the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1897), Haenggung (the king’s temporary palace) was constructed on the same site as the Goreyo palace. During the Byeongjahoran (Chinese invasion of Korea) in 1637, the palace was conquered by the force of Ching dynasty of China. Afterward, Ganghwa Yusubu (Ganghwa governor’s office) buildings were built on the palace site. Nowadays, the only structures that remain are the Dongheon main office (built in 1638) and Ibangcheong administration office (built in 1654). The palace and its subsidiary buildings were restored in 1977.

    Current Status
    Historical Site No.133 (as of June 10, 1964)

    Closed
    N/A (Open all year round)

    Duration
    20 minutes

    Operating Hours
    November-February: 9:00-17:00
    March-May, September-October: 9:00-18:00
    June-August: 08:30-18:30

    Parking Facilities
    Available

    Admission Fees
    Individuals
    Adults: 900 won / Youth: 600 won

    Groups (+30)
    Adults: 700 won / Youth 500 won

    Restrooms
    Available

    Parking Fees
    Free

    Interpretation Services Offered
    Not available

  • Tourist Sites
  • Accommodation
  • Restaurants
  • Shopping
  • Transportation